Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By tomtom Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm by auntmamie

tomtom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomtom Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all'

I have a wedding cake to make this weekend. Its my first so i decided to come to the masters for help

My client wants ivory butter cream. I am not sure how too get this colour cos my butter cream always comes out an off white color ( almost yellow)
Now my question is is there anyway to get it white without usingg shortening ( i hate the greasy heavy taste shortening gives). Another question is is it possible to airbrush buttercream cos i figure if i can get it white i can airbrush the cake ivory

Thanks in advance for all your help

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 7

Ivory: When I want to get an ivory color, I use the cheap brown vanilla instead of my usual clear vanilla. Since I use LOTS of vanilla, this works out perfectly.

I am a crisco-only icing maker and my customers will tell you that my icing does not taste greasy: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html

(I also made a birthday cake this past weekend for my daughter's best friend. They requested "whipped cream icing .... NO buttercream!". I told them "I don't do whipped cream icing ....if she wants a Kroger cake, it's right over there", pointing to the Kroger store just across the field. I made the cake with my regular icing and they LUV'D it!)

I did try another icing recipe once that called for about two and a half times the amount of crisco that I normally use. OMG, it sucked!!!!! If this had been my first exposure to a crisco-only icing recipe, I would NEVER have EVER done another crisco-only recipe! So my question to you in this regard is what is the ratio of fat to sugar in the recipes you've tried? Most recipes I've seen have WAY too much fat-to-sugar in them, in my ever-so-never-humble-opinion. thumbs_up.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

Indydebi, I'm going to try yours next! icon_smile.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

I am a crisco only buttercream maker too....I do have some ivory coloring that I have used in the past...that should just take care if that....white buttercream and add in some ivory coloring and you are all set!!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 7

Americolor makes an Ivory color. I just used it yesterday on a wedding cake (posted in my pics). You don't have to used much to get a nice soft color.

tomtom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomtom Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for the tips. Maybe i just had the wrong buttercream recipe icon_biggrin.gif
I think i am going to try yours indydebi. Thanks again. Wish me luck

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 7

tomtom,

Soon after coming to this site, I became an Indydebi BC convert. No greasy taste at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%