Fondant "settling"

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:13am
post #1 of 3

Lately I have been having a lot of problems with my fondant kind of settling...I always covered my cakes with fondant while they are cold (not frozen, just cold) and get the fondant nice and smooth. But I will notice a few hours later the fondant kind of settling...not those little cracks (I don't get those anymore since I learned to run the smoother over the fondant BEFORE putting it on the cake) but actual bumps and sometimes air bubbles and sagging. I was wondering is the cake shrinking? Or am I not smoothing enough to begin with so its not "glueing" down?

This just started happening (I use Satin Ice) and the only change is that I have been so busy I buttercream, cover and decorate the same day (I used to do the buttercream the day before and let it sit overnight) I am wondering do I need to go back to that? any ideas?

Thanks!

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 3

I would definitely say it is because you are not allowing your cake to settle before putting the fondant on. I like to stack and fill my cakes the day before - or at least 4-5 hours before putting on the fondant.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 3

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. Time to re-adjust my scheduling! hahaha!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%