I Made Rolled Fondant For The First Time!

Decorating By soozun Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 4:14am by tobycat

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:28am
post #1 of 24

I was ready to quit my cake decorating classes (separate post about that!) and then all of a sudden, I had a rare window of opportunity: my toddler fell asleep early so that I could mix up some fondant. So I just wanna say: it made my hand hurt to knead it. And I wondered for a long time if it would ever stop being sticky like taffy. But then that magical moment occurred when it formed a soft ball of dough that actually was smooth like a babies bottom. I'm so excited that I actually can try to work with fondant and make that Wilton course III present cake.

Rolled fondant is fun to make and tastes good, even if it hurts your hand to knead it! I liked the taste. I know I have eaten some candies that tasted like that. But I can't put my finger on what it was. Chocolate covered cherries with the creamy filling instead of the liqueur? Bon bon chocolates? Hmmm...

I'm going to gain some weight if I keep making fondant regularly!

23 replies
practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 24

Can you share what recipe you used???
I have tried a couple of different and I can't seem to find that perfect
balance. It either is too soft and stretches out of shape when I use it, or
it gets too dry and cracks.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 24

Good for you for sticking with it! It's a lot of fun. What recipe did you use? I used to use the Wilton homemade recipe, but once I tried MMF and got the recipe perfected to my own taste and manageability, I've never looked back. Now, I can make it in 5 minutes using my kitchen aid. Some people will say not to use them, but as long as you use the dough hook and the speed meant for kneading dough, you won't have a problem. I haven't had aching hands in over a year!

Do you mind letting us know what recipe you use?

S.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 24

yes! I am a total MMF and KA dough hook gal!
congrats on the fondant, I know the feeling!

tobycat Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 24

Isn't the KA wonderful! It's soosoooooo easy! Glad to see someone else who uses it too!

S.

woodthi32 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 24

oh, it's fabulous! I am not down to 5 min, though!!
20 for a double batch.......how long do you use the hook? once I used it for the whole process and I had so many bubbles, I had to toss it.....now I just do it to incorporate about 2/3 of the sugar.

tobycat Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #7 of 24

I'm counting 5 minutes from the time in the KA -- it's probably about 15-20 total. I use most of the sugar, but even if I overdo it, I just add a few drops of water. Which recipe do you use?

S.

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:11am
post #8 of 24

well, I start out with a 2lb bag of sugar to 16 oz of marshmallows and 2 tbsp h2o. I just scoop out the shortening as I go, I don't measure it...........and I always end up with leftover sugar. I would say I have about a quarter of the bag leftover on the counter when I feel it reaches the right consistency.
How about you??
I would love to not have the wasteicon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:20am
post #9 of 24

I haven't made it yet let alone with my KA for fear of burning it out. What speed is for the dough hook? Never knew there WAS a dough hook speed! Thank you in advance so I don't burn it out.

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:26am
post #10 of 24

I sure I wish I could get excited about fondant as you all are icon_redface.gif I made my first last week and it turned out good and the roses are beautiful, but what good is it if you can't eat it?? icon_surprised.gif YES it does make a beautiful presentation. Maybe it's because I haven't made a wedding cake or special occasion cake??? My family still like the BC. Can you all PLEASE help me understand the excitment about fondant, Please!!!! I really trust everyones opinion icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Peggy

astridwinther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astridwinther Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:35am
post #11 of 24

roses in fondat can be eaten no problem .. it get a littel hard but no problem eaten it anyway

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #12 of 24

The excitement about fondant for me is simply visual. If I have a bride that values tase above all, I would never use fonday. However, if she values taste and looks equally, then I definitely would uses MMF. I would NEVER use packaged fondant, number one because I hate the "taste".....yuck, and number two, I simply don't have the volume right now to warrant the expense. MMF tastes just fine, like a thin, peelable layer of marshmallow, and, let's face it, it gives a beautiful finish. Can't wait to get my buttercream DVD from sugarshack though! I am pretty good at smoothing it and prefer the taste, but I find MMF to be totally tasty and not interfere with the flavors of my cakes........

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:42am
post #13 of 24

Oh, and re:speed, I just use low (#1), and have never come close to burning it our. I mean, it's made for dough, and they are about the same consistency.......don't be afraid! It's cheap to practice with MMF.........

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeg

I sure I wish I could get excited about fondant as you all are icon_redface.gif I made my first last week and it turned out good and the roses are beautiful, but what good is it if you can't eat it?? icon_surprised.gif YES it does make a beautiful presentation. Maybe it's because I haven't made a wedding cake or special occasion cake??? My family still like the BC. Can you all PLEASE help me understand the excitment about fondant, Please!!!! I really trust everyones opinion icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Peggy

Why can't you eat it? icon_confused.gif You aren't using the "W" brand are you? There are many yummy brands out there. I personally love Satin Ice. I love the look of fondant. I had it on my wedding cake (see my avatar) and love the molding and shaping I can do with it that I can't do with BC. I love playing with polymer clay and am a jeweler by education, so maybe that's why I love working with fondant rather than BC. I'd rather make the shapes than have an icing tip do it for me. To me it's more hands-on that way.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

The excitement about fondant for me is simply visual.........I would NEVER use packaged fondant, number one because I hate the "taste".....yuck, and number two, I simply don't have the volume right now to warrant the expense........

Try a different brand of packaged fondant. See my previous post. If you can find a local distributor of Satin Ice in your area and not pay shipping, then the expense is very low. For me it's worth the added few dollars to use fondant and not fight with BC (or fight with making MMF; I've never had success), but then again there are people that can get their BC as smooth as fondant, so to each his own. icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 24

oh,ok. I have only tried the "w" brand! ick!
I can only think of one place that might sell me satin ice, but I have never had a problem with mmf...always willing to try something new though!!thanks!!

Peeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 24

Thanks to you all!!! I'm not using packaged fondant, I made MMF. Maybe I should add alittle more flavoring to it. I left the roses on a toothpick. I would love to try the satin ice and will look at your avatar. Thanks again. Peggy

Peeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 24

OK, beings that some people like and love fondant, How about the coating that you use on the cake before the fondant goes on, BC or glaze, which do you like the best? Come on and convince me to use fondant!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:04pm
post #19 of 24

I have used bc and ganache!

soozun Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #20 of 24

Hooray! People are talking on my thread! Love more info about fondant. icon_lol.gif

I would love to share my recipe. Out of respect for my teacher, who gave me a copy of it, I'll ask her tonight if it's cool to share it. I bet I can find the recipe on the internet though...let me look at check back with ya. It seems like such a basic recipe.

edit: this recipe is extremely similar:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2249-8-European-Fondant.html

I'll still ask my teacher about her recipe!

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #21 of 24

thanks!!
It seems like there are so many steps! I'll make this, or your teacher's, if you make mmf...then we can compare notes, or MAYBE someone here has already made both and can tell us?????!! Save us the investigation!?

soozun Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

thanks!!
It seems like there are so many steps! I'll make this, or your teacher's, if you make mmf...then we can compare notes, or MAYBE someone here has already made both and can tell us?????!! Save us the investigation!?

From what I understand, MMF (marshmallow fondant) is different from this recipe I posted the link to, which was a basic rolled fondant. I want to try MMF next. I will definitely let you know how that turned out! Then after that I'm trying a chocolate fondant. But that one is going to be hard because I have to find some good chocolate candy melts (not wilton brand).

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #23 of 24

yes. they are different...yours seems so much harder! I am just wondering how the two will compare, since I have done only mmf and love it!

oh, and I have just sustituted some cocoa for 10x sug. in mmf, and it was beautiful............maybe you should do mmf b4 you try the chocolate melts w/ the other recipe. I think it may be easiericon_smile.giflet me know. ok?

tobycat Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:14am
post #24 of 24

Here's the recipe that I use:

16 oz marshmallows
2 TBS warm water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 TBS glycerine
1/4 cup shortening (hi-ratio)
Approx 8 cups powdered sugar

Mix everything except the sugar in the microwave (30 sec - 1 minute intervals until melted -- mix thorougly. Sift 4 cups of powdered sugar into the bottom of the KA. Add melted marshmallow mixture. Sift About 3 1/2 cups of sugar on top of mixture. Use dough hook and mix on speed 2 (this is for the Artisan size -- it's the only speed you're supposed to use to make dough. THey said -- "NEVER GO OFF THIS SPEED." So, I don't. Never had a problem. Might be a different speed for different sizes.

Anyway, Just let it do it's thing. If, after about 3 minutes, it looks a little too dry, add a couple DROPS of water until it gets better. Sometimes, it balls up better than others. Sometimes, there's still some sugar left on the bottom. I just have played with it enough to know when it's ready. Pour/scoop it onto a kneading surface. Grease your hands lightly with shortening and knead it (it will still be a little warm) until it's smooth. You Might dust your hands lightly with cornstarch after a little kneading, or you might have to regrease your hands lightly. Once you have a nice ball (about 1 minute of kneading is all I use) then double wrap in plastic wrap, put in a plastic bag. Seal and wait 24 hours. AFter this, you need to learn the feel of it for what consistency it needs to be. Use a little shortening on yoru hands and a little cornstarch on the surface (Just a little) as you knead it smooth after waiting 24 hours.) The stuff will work fabulously!

The glycerine helps with the elasticity and keeps it softer, but I always grease my hands with a little shortening, so I know that helps too.

Marshmallow fondant (MMF) is terrific tasting. It works easily, and most people love it and will actually eat it!

When making figures of things (not covering a cake) add a little gum-tex to it (just a pinch or 2) as you knead it just before you use it so that the figures will harden a bit more than usual. It will also help with more elasticity.

Good luck and thanks for starting this thread!

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%