Fbct Black Lines Bled/feathered :(

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm by RobzC8kz

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 11

I had a cake order for this weekend, three cakes, one had a fbct in the center. I came out beautiful. I finished it this morning, boxed it and left them in the fridge. About an hour before pickup I took it out to take pics and there was some water beads on all of them. Lots of them. It poured all day yesterday so there was humidity early in the day. I took a Q-tip and absorbed some water off the transfer, just the biggest beads. But it looked wonderful. I put them back in the fridge, the customer picks them up and I'm opening the boxes, the first two were great, the fbct one had bled. THe black lines feathered and bled. I was mortified! I've had that happen a couple times, but on cakes it didn't matter with, or the colors camoflauged it well, on this one it looked so bad! I took a toothpick and scraped the feathered areas off as best I could, In the lighter areas. It looked way better within a few minutes. They didn't seem bothered by it and kept saying it looked great, but I know how it looked an hour earlier, and it was WAY better! They tipped me $25, so I know they loved it. (I knew they did before they paid!) But why did that happen!?? That's my first mortifying cake experience. I've had flubs and put fingers in the icing, misspelled words on the cake, etc, but this was the worst because it took me offguard. I was so proud of them and sure they looked amazing, and the to open the box and see it (with them) looking so badly, ugh! I hope it looks ok tomorrow for the party icon_sad.gif I'm worried it's going to look even worse by the time they display it. Any ideas on why it happened or how to prevent that? I will never do another for a customer unless I can prevent that!

10 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have an answer for you, but the same thing happened to me. So don't feel alone. I decorated my twin grandkids smash cakes early because my other daugther was pregnant and due any day. After taking them out, they too beaded up, but the only thing that bled was the black. The water eventually dried and I tried to touch up the black by going over it again.

I'm sorry this happened. I think it just must be the humidity in the air.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio1234

I had a cake order for this weekend, three cakes, one had a fbct in the center. I came out beautiful. I finished it this morning, boxed it and left them in the fridge. About an hour before pickup I took it out to take pics and there was some water beads on all of them. Lots of them. It poured all day yesterday so there was humidity early in the day. I took a Q-tip and absorbed some water off the transfer, just the biggest beads. But it looked wonderful. I put them back in the fridge, the customer picks them up and I'm opening the boxes, the first two were great, the fbct one had bled. THe black lines feathered and bled. I was mortified! I've had that happen a couple times, but on cakes it didn't matter with, or the colors camoflauged it well, on this one it looked so bad! I took a toothpick and scraped the feathered areas off as best I could, In the lighter areas. It looked way better within a few minutes. They didn't seem bothered by it and kept saying it looked great, but I know how it looked an hour earlier, and it was WAY better! They tipped me $25, so I know they loved it. (I knew they did before they paid!) But why did that happen!?? That's my first mortifying cake experience. I've had flubs and put fingers in the icing, misspelled words on the cake, etc, but this was the worst because it took me offguard. I was so proud of them and sure they looked amazing, and the to open the box and see it (with them) looking so badly, ugh! I hope it looks ok tomorrow for the party icon_sad.gif I'm worried it's going to look even worse by the time they display it. Any ideas on why it happened or how to prevent that? I will never do another for a customer unless I can prevent that!

Sorry about the cake but would you tell me what is FBCT so as if i decided to do this i will know what to expect.
Thanks

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 11

I make my black for the FBCT out of chocolate then add a little black Ameri Color and I've never had one bleed.

eieio1234 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb173

I don't have an answer for you, but the same thing happened to me. So don't feel alone. I decorated my twin grandkids smash cakes early because my other daugther was pregnant and due any day. After taking them out, they too beaded up, but the only thing that bled was the black. The water eventually dried and I tried to touch up the black by going over it again.

I'm sorry this happened. I think it just must be the humidity in the air.

Ugh I just hate it, I still feel sick over it!

sweet-as-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-as-cake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

I make my black for the FBCT out of chocolate then add a little black Ameri Color and I've never had one bleed.

What kind of chocolate? icing or melted chocolate? Thanks

eieio1234 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Sorry about the cake but would you tell me what is FBCT so as if i decided to do this i will know what to expect.
Thanks

A FBCT is a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. It's such a neat effect. You take a picture, Like a coloring book line drawing, put it under glass and tape it. Then you put parchement over the glass and tape it down. You use black or dark colored icing to trace over the lines, then use colors to fill in the areas. Freeze it, then flip it onto your iced cake and peel the paper off. There are articles about it on here, they will give you more details but that's a quick description! icon_smile.gif

eieio1234 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:15am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Thanks

A FBCT is a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. It's such a neat effect. You take a picture, Like a coloring book line drawing, put it under glass and tape it. Then you put parchement over the glass and tape it down. You use black or dark colored icing to trace over the lines, then use colors to fill in the areas. Freeze it, then flip it onto your iced cake and peel the paper off. There are articles about it on here, they will give you more details but that's a quick description! icon_smile.gif

eieio1234 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

I used to do them that way when I first did them, but when I would peel the parchment back, the lines would stay attached to the paper for some reason. Then there would be gaps in the dark lines, where they peeled out of the transfer... that's why I switched to black icing, but that bleeds. Oh why can't this be foulproof!???! icon_smile.gif

On a happier note, the customer called today and said the cakes were a huge success and everyone was in awe. She said all my cards are handed out and she can guarantee I will have at least one order from this. So I assume it didn't continue to bleed and my touch up job was sufficient. (I just wish they saw it look how I did, when it was awesome!!)

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #10 of 11

Here's the link to doing a FBCT
http://www.cakecentral.com/art.....sfer.html

Jibbies

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 11

I've never tried doing a FBCT. I usually just pipe my designs or pictures directly onto the cake. Granted...they don't come out silky smooth though. If I want smooth, I do Royal Icing and let it dry.

Anyone got any opinions about R.I. vs FBCT? I see many threads about clumpy, runny, sweating FBCT's, but none about R.I.

Just curious...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%