Question About Support For Stacked Cake

Decorating By kbgieger Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm by mbelgard

kbgieger Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #1 of 9

My soon to be 4 year old son wants an R2D2 cake for his birthday. I haven't done many stacked cakes, but I'm thinking about doing 2 or 3 8" rounds topped with a cut-down wonder mold for the head. I've done a practice cake on the head and was pretty happy with it. My question is should I dowel the 8" rounds then put the wonder mold on top or should there be dowels between the 8" rounds AND then the wonder mold. I was planning on using a center dowel all the way through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will have to transport the cake to the party location about 3-4 miles across town. Thanks!!

8 replies
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:10am
post #2 of 9

I would put a cardboard between the 2nd and 3rd layer at least (from the bottom up: cardboard/cake/filling/cake/cardboard/cake/filling/cake).

The reason is that I cut an R2D2 groom's cake at a wedding once and the baker had 5 or 6 layers of cake and no cardboards in there anywhere. It was difficult to know where to stop cutting and pull the piece of cake out. Once I got into it, and saw how it was constructed, I kinda figured it out as I went. But especially if you are transporting it, dowels under the cardboard, to support the upper two layers PLUS a dowel down the center will really help.

kbgieger Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much for the help. I was thinking I needed some more cardboard in there; of course I'm the one who will have to cut it!!!

DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, you should board and dowel every 2 layers of cake.

I'm wondering, tho, why you're going to use the Wondermold and not the sports ball or soccer ball pan? R2D2 is rounded at the top, not cone shaped.

kbgieger Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

I decided to go with the wondermold because I have a 2 yr old girl and figured there would be doll cakes in the not too distant future! I primarily do cakes for family, so I really don't have a big pan collection.

DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 9

Ah...gotcha! thumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

I decided to go with the wondermold because I have a 2 yr old girl and figured there would be doll cakes in the not too distant future! I primarily do cakes for family, so I really don't have a big pan collection.

I understand this theory but the ball pan is probably something you'll use alot too, it can be everything from tea pots to spiders.

kbgieger Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 9

I probably will end up expanding my pan collection as my kids get older and more imaginative (i.e. demanding!). I'm going to have to remember the teapot idea though...maybe a spring thank you cake for the kids' preschool teachers???

mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

I'm going to have to remember the teapot idea though...maybe a spring thank you cake for the kids' preschool teachers???

Ladies like them so that would be good, they're also good for little girl's tea party themes. You can pair it with the mini ball pan made into tea cups if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%