Quitting My Cake Decorating Classes (Vent)

Decorating By soozun Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 4:51am by CoutureCake

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 28

I've been trying to do the Wilton classes at my local craft store and I think I'm at a point where I might quit the classes. I'm just feeling a little discouraged. So I decided to post this under "disasters" because that's how I feel! This ship is about to go down...

First of all, all my cakes have been disappointing to me so far, that is...the ones I have managed to complete. I keep telling myself I'm just learning, but it does get discouraging when you see how your efforts are either incomplete (running out of time in class) or just sloppy or poorly done. Part of the fault lies with me because I am slow and tend to be lazy in general. But I really want cake decorating to be an area where I do my best. So then when I really try hard, I want it to be good...and so far it's at best "average". Ok, fine. I'm just learning, right!

But then starting in course 2, I started having problems getting baby sitting and transportation arranged. I also got sick. So I missed a class, and then I missed the final class, so I didn't finish and get the certificate.

No big deal. I actually wanted to take the class again. But when I tried to sign up, the people who answered the phone acted like they didn't know what was going on with the schedule, and so then I ended up taking course 3. No big deal. You can take them out of order. I actually love the idea of doing a tiered cake and working with fondant (plus making more royal icing flower with a lily nail!!!)

But now since starting this 3rd course, I missed ANOTHER class due to family demands. Ugh. I thought it was not a big deal because I'd just make my present cake at home.

But now I'm dealing with feelings of discouragement and laziness. I keep thinking about making my fondant (I decided to make my own so it would taste good) and I just can't seem to get my butt off the couch and do it.

UGH. I love the classes just for the structure and the incentive to actually do the work. If I quit, I bet I won't continue at all. But I hate the feeling like I'm the worst student in the class (and boo hoo, etc!!!)

Anyone feel my pain??? Anyone else suffer from the form of perfectionism where you either don't do things out of fear of failure, or else you don't enjoy the things you do end up accomplishing (because it's just not good enough)?

27 replies
Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 28

I am with you....I use to look at all the shows on the Food network a couple of years ago and wanted to be a pastry chef....signed up for classed at the local community college had shcolorships everything was paid for and then I lost me home....i had to move back in with my mom which was 3 hours away..I had to give all that up ( at the time when I was planning to go to school I worked at a grocery store doing cakes...frist experince) so that was a real blow to me...I was soo close...now I very rearly get to do a cake I now I am so worried about money to even do so ....so yeah...I understand the fear...but if you are passionate about it you will find the motavation to do it....I am just now finding my motavation...people really love my bakeing and I got a couple of things for friends lined up so I am excited...just hang in there...it will get better icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 28

1st things 1st Welcome to the world of decorating procrastination icon_smile.gif. I am a procrastinator (SP) ... I wait till the last minute on just about everything.

It's alright to fail at things..that's the only way you learn. Everything won't be perfect your first time around ...but you will get better and better then you will not want to stop. The thing to do is to make a game plan...Know that you want to do this and just "do it" icon_smile.gif . That's the first step. If you really want to do it then you will. If you really don't want to get up and do anything then maybe you just aren't ready for classes. Option B is to learn on your own. I am icon_smile.gif . No classes around me.

Anywho good luck on your ventures and try everything you can!! You will love it ! I promise

((((((hugs)))))))))

Christi

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 28

If you could do everything good, why would you need classes?

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #5 of 28

thanks for the replies, everyone! I want to say "Thank you, my God" because a small miracle happened: my toddler fell asleep early, so I have like 2 or 3 hours of time just for myself (before I turn in to a zombie and have to give up getting anything useful accomplished tonight!)

I think I'm going to go make that fondant! Plus, I was just reading on a Web site about rolled fondant and how it's better if it rests for 24 to 48 hours...and that's about right because I won't have until late Sunday night or Monday morning to decorate my cake.

Funny how things can work out when you least expect it. I feel smiled upon. icon_smile.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #6 of 28

Soozun, it's sooooooooo hard when you have little kids. I have a 2 y.o. and 6 month old. I understand how it feels to get motivated. It's not that you're lazy, you're exhausted! Give yourself a break!

The only time I can work on cakes or baking is when they're napping or sleeping at night. If I even attempt while they're awake, it's literally accomplishing 15 minutes of real work for every hour that goes by due to the interruptions.

I recently got fired from my job (which I hated!). Never had something like that happen to me before. But honestly, it was a good thing because I was so miserable. I decided that since I lost my job and I'm losing my house (ARM Mortgage rate... going to double and can't get a refi!), now is the time to change my life. The only way is to make it happen. So I'm going full force and I'm giving it 110% to try to change careers so I no longer have to hate what I do everyday. Every night, when the kids go to bed, I'm up until 2 or 3 either researching recipes and ideas or baking or decorating. And my day starts again at 6:30 a.m.! My son never sleeps past 7 even on weekends!

The best thing to do is to make a time line. Write a list. What has to be done. And do it. No matter what. Unless you're literally falling over and can't keep your eyes open. Just do what you have to do. If you want it bad enough, you will do it!

Good luck!

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #7 of 28

I just want to tell you something... I'm a Wilton III dropout!! Woo, I was just too busy. I may sign up again one day when stuff isn't so busy. But that's not the point, let yourself have fun with it. That IS the point. icon_biggrin.gif

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #8 of 28

I completely understand how you are feeling. I almost didn't make it to course 2! I was going to quit after the first course!! Everything felt rushed, the courses don't let you be creative with your cakes unless you have a lot of time to dedicate to them. Trust me when I say hang in there! You will find that after you are finished with your courses, you will trust yourself a lot more to try some new things and you only have to work on one cake at a time and not learning several new skills at the same time. Your cakes are going to improve drastically so soon. Hang in there, you will be glad that you did! Good luck to you

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #9 of 28

Don't be discouraged, it may be that you learn better by teaching yourself. I just took a gumpaste flower class, I had signed up for it in June and it was supposed to be the 4 Saturday's in August but health problems caused it to be postponed until Sept/Oct so by the time it rolled around I was very anxious, and after the first class I became disappointed, the instrucor was unorganized, and I could have taught myself the same things out of Wiltons gumpaste book (that's what we used) I stuck it out and went to all 4 classes, but I was sooo glad when it was over. There are many resources out there including CC to help you.
I am a self taught decorator and you can be too. check out some of my photos
Any of us here will be glad to help or answer questions, just PM us.

Jibbies

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #10 of 28

I can definately feel your pain. I only completed class one. I've learned most everything from reading a lot of the articles here on cc and advice from other members. School is my priority right now and unfortunately I just don't have time to take away from my studies to take anymore classes.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #11 of 28

It is hard to make a change while you have little ones..but they are also one of the best reasons to make a change.
I've fought lazy all my life, but I love decorating cakes and that makes me successful at it.
I've never taken a class in my life. I think it is a good idea but I also think that you can learn to do what the class is trying to teach you on your own, at home. All the info you need is right here with tons of decorators happy to help and give you answers.
I hear you on the structure but it seems like that isn't working either. Your still missing classes due to family, so...
A couple of years ago I couldn't have imagined doing what I'm doing now. I have a small cake shop and I take my soon to be 4 year old and my 5 year old there with me while I bake and decorate. It isn't easy, but because I love it..it works.
I hope that they will be happy because I am happy.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #12 of 28

I actually didn't enjoy the Wilton classes, I took course 1 & 3. I didn't finish course 3. I have learned more on Cake Central than I ever would have learned in class! Plus, they make you buy a lot of products that I haven't used since, and my teacher actually was upset when I brought in supplies that weren't Wilton. It was tube of piping gel, for crying out loud!

Also, check out the local library for books on cake decorating...I have found great ideas from them, and the best part is they are free! At least until they are overdue icon_wink.gif

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 28

Well I too am lazy. So when I get in that really lazy mood I just buy the fondant. But after getting better with each cake I realized the fun and I am much less lazy about it all. I really get a kick out of challenging myself...or being challenged by the grandkids! My next "big test" will be the castle cake for my granddaughter's 9th birthday.

Also don't get discouraged. It took me almost a year to complete the Wilton classes. My husband had a heart attack and a triple bypass. After that he had complications and was in the hospital 5 times in one year. So I took classes 2 and 3 twice each...because of having to miss days. But I think it helped in the long run. I got more practice and a chance to get more out of the instructor.

So hang in there. If you are really interested..it's well worth the effort.

icon_biggrin.gif

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 28

I must agree that the course doesn't allow you to take your time. I laugh when my teachers says, as we are leaving, "Don't forget to practice." Yeah, when?

Like Amber I have a 3 yr old and a 7mo and I have to wait until naps and evening to do anything. Some times I have to get hubby to occupy them WHEN he has a moment.

Usually I get the 3yr to help me make icing but most of the time I'm slapping his fingers away from the bowl and saying "NO, you can't lick the spatula yet," for the millionth time.

I expect perfection and w/ each task I'm greatly disappointed. Sometimes I catch myself muttering "who am I kidding?" BUT I press on. This is something I am doing because I enjoy it. It's something for me but also for my family. ME TIME. I NEED THIS to work for me. LOL

Press on!

tennilleshahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilleshahan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 28

Don't worry about the cake classes or your cakes not turning out as well as you have them pictured. My cakes from cake class were hideous at times, but I laughed and had fun and learned from them. If this is something you are interested in, hang in there.

I would suggest buying the fondant and buttercream for awhile until you are really motivated. I find making the icing such a chore and tend to put off decorating my cakes when I know I have to spend so much time in the kitchen mixing before I can start the "fun stuff." (decorating) Once you are motivated and feel like it you could make your own.

Good luck!

tennilleshahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilleshahan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 28

Don't worry about the cake classes or your cakes not turning out as well as you have them pictured. My cakes from cake class were hideous at times, but I laughed and had fun and learned from them. If this is something you are interested in, hang in there.

I would suggest buying the fondant and buttercream for awhile until you are really motivated. I find making the icing such a chore and tend to put off decorating my cakes when I know I have to spend so much time in the kitchen mixing before I can start the "fun stuff." (decorating) Once you are motivated and feel like it you could make your own.

Good luck!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #17 of 28

I can totally understand how you feel although I never went thru these types of feelings when I was learning cake decorating. sounds to me like you need a lot more motivation than your desire to learn cake decorating.. because to me , I never had the feeling of laziness whenever i have the desire to decorate a cake.

It could be the issues sorrounding you also. Like what you said baby sittter and transportation.. Those are things that could discourage you from being in this class. So it's really up to you at this point.. If the issues continue, then I can't see how you can continue learning cake decorating. These issues are distracting you from focusing from learning. Maybe give it a little more time, then start all over again. Just my thoughts.. But hang in there if possible..

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 28

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. As far as being lazy, I'm piled up on the couch right now with Gracie (my avatar) reading a romance novel (another addiction in addition to CC). I need to get up and make some royal icing for my cake class wednesday but I'm too lazy. icon_redface.gif A cold front rolled in to North TX this morning and it's a perfect day to be useless.

Seriously, if I had to go to a cake class AND prepare for it when my kids were little, I'd NEVER make it. My kids are 20 and 21, the 20 year old still living at home. With him still living at home and hubby needing my undevoted attention, it's hard.

Maybe you just need a break. I too have learned more from CC than the 5 cake classes I've taken so far.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think it's amazing that you can make it to any classes with babies at home.

fruit-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruit-cake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

I can totally understand how you feel although I never went thru these types of feelings when I was learning cake decorating. sounds to me like you need a lot more motivation than your desire to learn cake decorating.. because to me , I never had the feeling of laziness whenever i have the desire to decorate a cake.

It could be the issues sorrounding you also. Like what you said baby sittter and transportation.. Those are things that could discourage you from being in this class. So it's really up to you at this point.. If the issues continue, then I can't see how you can continue learning cake decorating. These issues are distracting you from focusing from learning. Maybe give it a little more time, then start all over again. Just my thoughts.. But hang in there if possible..

DONT GIVE UP I TOUGHT MYSELF FOR MANY YEARS THEN WENT TO COURSES
TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

fruit-cake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:

TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

post #21 of 28
Quote:

TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

post #22 of 28
Quote:

TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

post #23 of 28
Quote:

TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

post #24 of 28
Quote:

TO GAIN MOOR EXPERIANCE
NEVER LOOKED BACK
GOOD LUCK .

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:16am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennilleshahan

You know, this is really good advice! Count me as yet another cake procrastinator, and it's the absolute worst when I sit and think about kneading up some MMF or going thru the rigors of making icing. But once the cake is in full gear I start to think to myself "Why the heck did I put this off, I am having so much fun!" but yes kids and family commitment do make it so hard. I too can only work when DD is napping or asleep at night (which isn't till 9pm) and those are my ONLY breaks during the day (DH doesn't get home till 8:30pm most nights) so duh, no wonder it's easier to (ahem) sit here on CC than spend even MORE time standing in the kitchen and doing work, even for a goal that I want to achieve. It's hard to pull it together because naptime isn't long enough to focus on doing your cake, and at night after they've gone to bed, you're exhausted and just want to fall over.

So as others have said, cut yourself some slack, do it when you enjoy it but if you need to be lazy sometimes, well let that be your priority until you've had your fill of lazy moments and are ready to dig in. Meantime don't feel bad that family obligations interfere - I know it's disheartening, once you're motivated, to have a roadblock, but also as others have said, you don't need a Wilton class to learn to do this, so don't get caught up in that artificial timeline! Just make some more cakes when you have time, make them for friends or church or charity or whatever you can do in a way that it can be on YOUR TIMELINE and you'll prob. feel better about the whole thing.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #26 of 28

As an instructor I want to say Don't rush your classes take each one as you feel your ready to move on. As the Mother of three Grown kids , I couldn't wait for nap times and bed time so I could have a little time to my self. I always found myself praying for a little of their enrgy to get me thru the day, Worse I lived on a farm and had outside chores to do. it was not easy but I taught my self how to do some basic cake decorating and my grandmother showed me how to make the rose.

just one more thing enjoy your young ones while you can. the grow up too fast.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #27 of 28

As an instructor I want to say Don't rush your classes take each one as you feel your ready to move on. As the Mother of three Grown kids , I couldn't wait for nap times and bed time so I could have a little time to my self. I always found myself praying for a little of their enrgy to get me thru the day, Worse I lived on a farm and had outside chores to do. it was not easy but I taught my self how to do some basic cake decorating and my grandmother showed me how to make the rose.

just one more thing enjoy your young ones while you can. the grow up too fast.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:51am
post #28 of 28

O.k. you've GOT to be gentler on yourself!!! Remember that a lot of the pros you see and many of the decorators who are doing the higher end designs have had 10-30 years of experience already. EVERYONE starts out somewhere!!! I honestly never took any of the Wilton courses because they weren't offered where I grew up, and the reality is in the real world, unless you're entering pro level competitions, no one is going to really care if your rose is perfect or even going in the right direction. All they care about is does it taste good. Think about it, if you go out to a restaurant, would you rather have a fancy presentation or a delicious tasting steak? The best thing you can do is to just practice making cakes for whatever reason, or even just doing cupcakes and decorating those using different techniques. You can decorate the cupcakes up like a regular cake even and just use the mini tips then put the icing bags into the freezer if you have to (in a freezer bag of course!)..

I also have procrastination syndrome and I'm also a pro.. I also have a 2 1/2yo... She's the only 21/2 year old kid that I know of that knows when we're in the licensed kitchen we have to first put our hat on, then wash our hands while singing the ABC's... She also understands it's her tushie if she so much as moves her fingers toward a cake.

Getting hard on yourself and expecting perfection is like hitting your head against a wall. Ask the people who take cakes to the OSSAS show.. Even THEY are hard on themselves stating their cakes were not perfect. In the real world, those cakes are not sold because it's virtually impossible to achieve that level of perfection with real cake and icing. The more you force yourself to notice mistakes the more you're going to have issues with getting your cakes to look how you think they should. If you just decorate the cakes for decorations sake you'll find yourself doing a far better job because you're not trying to perfect a technique. Like others have mentioned, and myself included, I've learned more sticking around cake decorating message boards than I have from instructors. The reason is because you've got to come up with a style that works for you and the only way to do it is by grabbing the piping bag and going. A certificate from a class tells no one how delicious and well done your cake is going to be. Focus on what does matter and the rest is, well, icing on the cake thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%