What Would You Charge??

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm by darrahmomof3

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 15

I need help figuring a price for this cake. What would you all charge?? It is a 6" double and a 10" double layer with half milk chocolate icing and half white chocolate buttercream. The accents are all done in fondant. It has the milk chocolate and white chocolate for the filling also. It is for a little boy and little girls birthday party. Oh, the cake is yellow cake. Thanks in advance!!!
LL

14 replies
VSP2205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VSP2205 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 15

The bakery that I work at Charges by slice for any stacked cakes. Which is usually around $3.50/slice. You could also charge by your regular cake prices and then add an addition decoration fee for the fondant accents. I hope this helps, I've only done a few cakes outside of the bakery and I charge this way and no one seems to mind.

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #3 of 15

Thanks for your help! I don't know if i could get that much per slice here, I will have to see.

donvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donvi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:37am
post #4 of 15

I may not be one for much advice but what I can tell you is I live in an area where people will turn @ high pricing even though the cakes are very much WORTH ever penny of it. But the way I scale my pricing is I have Standard costs 6" = $ ? 8" = $ obviously you determine your pricing that best suits you. Bottom line I charge Bottom price for a 6" / 10" 2 tier around $70 and can go to $95 depending on the detail of the cake. Hope this helps. . . .

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:55am
post #5 of 15

First let me say what a cute and well thought out cake that is!!! I really like the idea of splitting the cake for a boy and girl. Second, I agree with charging per slice for a tiered cake. I haven't really charged yet for any of my cakes, but when I do I will charge per slice for ALL tiered cakes. Third, we were eating at TGIF the other day and I noticed that all of their desserts were around $4.50 a slice. If that sounds too expensive then you can go by Denny's prices which are $2.50 for a slice of plain ol' pumpkin pie! Hope that helps. Please don't undercharge yourself! You definitely put a lot of work into that cake! thumbs_up.gif

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:09am
post #6 of 15

Thanks!! I did work all day on the cake. Started at 8 this morning and worked until 5. My husband is in the National Guard and is gone for the week, all 3 kids have been sick this week, so..... I worked really hard with really cranky kids there is no way I can get what I put into this cake!! LOL

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:23am
post #7 of 15

I would charge $85 - $100 for this cake, although I think it is worth more. You did a wonderful job, I love the detail. What did you get for it, or was it a no charger? <<<Cheryl

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #8 of 15

Thanks! I have not delivered it yet. They did not ask for a price,so I did not give them one!!! LOL I know them well though and they have got cakes from me before. I was checking with everyone here to see what I should charge.

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #9 of 15

By the way, the picture I took is not very good, I guess I moved or something it is kind of fuzzy looking.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #10 of 15

I was just wondering, how in the world did that woman make that beautiful, very detailed cake with 3 children, and two toddlers!!!! Are you serious!!! You must be like wonderwoman. I am so envious of you!! I think you should charge what you REALLY in your heart think you deserve and of course while considering what customers in your area are willing to pay. It was obviously a great deal of work, 2 colors on 1 cake, and all the fondant detail!! I am so impressed!!

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #11 of 15

Thank you so much!!!!!! Sometimes I wonder how I get it all done. I guess I just have no other choice than to do it. Most of the time all goes well, but there are those days,ya know! LOL Thanks again for the wonderful comments!

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #12 of 15

Great cake! Very creative idea.
As far as pricing, I just charge a flat price per size... my 6" 2 layer is $30, 10" 2 layer is $50, for buttercream iced cakes. I add extra $$ if its extremely detailed, or has alot of fondant accents, or covered in fondant.
So, I would have charged $80...

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 15

Not to be repititious, but pricing is def regional. In Vermont, I would get about $50 to $60 for this. $15 for a 6", $25 for a 10", $5 for the stacking, $5 for the fondant. I would love to get $80 to $100 - but people just won't pay that.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 15

Ok here is my take on any stacked cake I do (which is rare I charge a flat bts fee (by the slice) . I charge 2.50 per slice. I tell them that in the beginning and if they don't like it they can go elsewhere. I am not going to undercharge myself anymore.

HTH's

Christi

Oh yeah BTW I am not out to dollar and cent the people but hey...I don't get a discount anywhere I go so why should I give one? I am not going to work for nuthin icon_biggrin.gif

darrahmomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 15

wgoat5----- I feel the same way. If I undercharge I always am mad at myself afterwards. Especially when I charge less and they get the cake and say " oh, I figured it would be more. Then I just want to kick myself!!! BTW I saw you are from KY, where at in KY??? I am originally from KY also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%