How Do I Create An Awesome, Frosting-Less Cake?!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 12:24am by KathysCC

mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 12

I'll be making a cake for a friend's birthday.....but he doesn't like frosting. icon_confused.gif lol

I've seen in Martha Stewart's magazine where she had an unfrosted cake and dyed each cake layer a different color.....and that looked cool....but he wants chocolate cake...

Any ideas??

11 replies
MiaT Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 12

Does he consider ganache to be frosting? Nice rich chocolate cake drizzled in ganache is heavenly.

Shelle_75 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 12

What about baking it in a pretty (I mean, manly) shaped bundt cake pan and dusting it with powdered sugar? Or drizzling it with white chocolate?

mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 12

MiaT: he probably does. He was going on and on how he loved plain cake with nothing on it (this was before I asked him what kind of cake he wanted me to make for his birthday...maybe he was hinting around, lol).

Shelle_75: that is a great idea! The only problem is that I don't have one of those pans! But you've definitely given me something to think about!

Narie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 12

Chocolate bundt cake with powdered sugar. Or stencil Happy Birthday or whatever on the top with powdered sugar. If you make a layered cake, use a raspberry or cherry filling - you will need to check with him on that one. He may not like fillings either. Some people just like plain cake.

all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 12

What about alternating layers of chocolate cake?

a deep dark layer
a medium layer
and a white chocolate layer

you'd get that beautiful effect of the MS one but all in chocolate

oh oh....

pipe Happy Birthday with one shade of chocolate batter. Bake it for a few then fill the pan with the opposite shade/strength of chocolate batter and bake until done....

I do believe it was leahs that shared that bit of info in regards to a different type of cake....lemme look for that link....

sheeny Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 12

How about a chocolate cheesecake? I'm not allowed to make anything else at family events...

bottom layer - oreo cookie crumbs
middle layer- werthers originals caramels melted in butter mixed with pecans
top layer - chocolate cheesecake
on top - brownies and caramel and pecans...

I'm attaching a pic of a recent one I made...

ceshell Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 12

Wrap it in fondant! Peels right off, no fuss, no muss.

I still like the other ideas too of course - an unfrosted cake can look so pretty. Really like all4cake's idea of decorating the cake with...cake. Cool! Do you have a pic of that all4cake??? I'd love to see it, it sounds awesome.

beachcakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 12

OK. Since you can't wow him with your decorating, since he doesn't like frosting...

This is THE BEST chocolate cake!! It's my boss's favorite cake - we used to splurge on his birthday and get it for him - it was a sad day when Barefoot Contessa closed!! It was $40 for a single 10" layer - five years ago - but so worth it!!

Covered in ganache with a single candied violet on top. Beautiful and yummy! I was so happy when i found the recipe!!

all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #10 of 12

I swear, the technique was just on a thread not that long ago complete with a picture. and leahs explained how it was done.

I'm still looking.

I had to break away to cook...and play...and run my mouth

sewlora Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #11 of 12

If you have a paper doily, you can put that on the cake, sprinkle over it with icing sugar, then carefully remove the doily. YOu get a nice lacey design, but NO frosting.

KathysCC Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:24am
post #12 of 12

How about the Williams-Sonoma cake pans? They have an octopus, stadium, train, castle and more. These bundt-type pans are really not meant for iced cakes because the pan detail is so fine. Most are just decorated with powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%