Help On Pricing

Baking By mama5kiddos Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm by GeminiRJ

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am a newbie, and need to get orders to build my portfolio up. Currently I am running a "special' that cookies are 50% off. I am charging $2 ea cookie, (they are approx 4 & 1/2" big, I know some charge by inch).

My question is, after taking my first order, I realize that packaging them costs quite a bit (see my finished order in my pic, I would like to do all cookies this way). Since I am running the cookies for so cheap, is it reasonable to charge a "packaging fee" if they choose to have them individually wrapped in a box...OR in a cookie bouquet? If so, how much should I charge, like $6? Or do you all include the prices of the packaging INTO the cookie cost...meaning should I raise my "sale" price up 50 cents each cookie or something?

Any help is appreciated!

4 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

I charge $.35 each for bagging cookies.

Val

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 5

YES!!!!

If you are packaging them up all pretty with cello wrap and bows.. charge for it per cookie. Having a sale is a nice way to up your business, but by doing all the frills included you will make NO money. If they was a dozen 4.5 inch cookies in a box.. fine.. your $2.00 per cookie is fine (for a sale). BUT.. if they want a dozen 4.5 inch cookies all wrapped up with pretty bows.. that is a whole other ball game. The cookies themselves are on sale.. not your time. Wrapping them up takes time and it's not cheap for the supplies to do so. Don't be afraid to add on.

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #4 of 5

thank you for your detailed explanation. That is how I feel, I spent about $10 (or more) JUST on supplies FOR the packaging. LOL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5

Most places charge a "shipping & handling" fee. This is what you'd have for "packaging". Just be upfront about the additional charges and I don't think people will balk at paying for this service.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%