Family Tree Cake?

Decorating By pastrygirl33 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:46am by aztomcat

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone soo glad that cc is back on I freaked out for a couple of days there!! whew!! I need some advice and some ideas please.Now my nana is in her 80's and will be celebrating another birthday with us this year thank god. She is an amazing woman and she has alzheimer's. We all love and respect her and I wanted to make her a special cake this year. Since a few of us are from out of town she does not see us as much as we'd like. So we show her pictures and she loves that and for a little while she calls out everyones name. what I would like to do is a cake with a tree on it with branches and on the branches I will apply a picture of each of us. I think this will make her happy. She could look at everyone and see us there with her....I was just wondering though could the edible pictures be applied over fondant or do they have to be placed on buttercream and how should I go about making the tree ? Has anyone heard of or seen something like this before if so let me know so I could get a look at it please I have time this is to be done for the 27th of december so no rush I just want to start planning it out you know.. thank you so much and any advice or help is much much appreciated Thanks cc...

5 replies
frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

The edible picture can be applied to fondant, no problem. Just lightly wet the part of the cake where the picture is going to go and apply it (wet the brush and then squeeze the water between your fingers, if too much water the picture could dissolve). I think that if you go to the Wilton website you should find something like what you´re looking for (I believe there was a picture in book 1 for Wilton Course 1). They did the tree with buttercream (flat on top of a sheet cake). I think they probably used a star tip that makes it look pretty realistic. They had little heads made with buttercream but you could have the pictures of your family members and pipe a bead border around each picture. Hope this helps. It sounds like your grandma is an adorable lady!

Inma

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

In a magazine once, I saw a cake that was a trunk with branches and then each leaf was a cupcake. In the cake I saw each person decorated their own cupcake added their name then they were bunched at the top.

You could do the same with the photos A fondant leaf on top with the photo on top.

Then each person can eat themselves. lol.

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 6

On page 99 of the 2000 Wilton yearbook is a picture of a cake called Family Pride. I was actually thinking of doing this cake for our family reunion but never got around to it. Although they don't use actual pictures but piped figures for faces. I'm sure you could adapt something onto the cookies to put the picture on.

or this one http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/misc/familytreet.cfm

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

I just did this one for a child but you could incorporate some branches using wire or pretzel rods with leaces on them to hang pictures or put pics on lttle fondant frames and stick them into the tree as is. I used 8 inch rounds but you could use larger by using a larger base if you need more than 30 servings. hope this helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1150317

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #6 of 6

meta's cake is very similar to the one I saw in a Women's magazine. You could totally substitute your photos.

d

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%