Please Show Me What You Can Do With A Clay Gun/extruder

Decorating By PattyLen Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:56am by i_heart_pastry

PattyLen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 23

Okay, I finally broke down and bought an extruder. What can I do with it? Please show me your cakes that have something that was created with a clay gun. I'm looking forward to using mine, but just don't know where to start.

Can't wait to see your creations!! icon_smile.gif

Patty Len

22 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 23

Check the galleries -- anything with a fondant rope border or fondant hair is done with a clay extruder.

pinkbox Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 23

ahhh the extruder... my new best friend.... Im still amazed at what I can do with it.

I use it to trim the edges of my sculpted cakes. I use the circle in various sizes to give the finishing touches. On my purse cakes I have used ti for edging. The disc with the 3 circles makes great ropes when you twist them together.

I cant wait to see what others come up with...Im still playing icon_lol.gif

lepaz Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 23

Where do you get these, the hardware store???? Being somewhat new to cakes I haven't heard of it, but you made my ears perk up!

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepaz

Where do you get these, the hardware store???? Being somewhat new to cakes I haven't heard of it, but you made my ears perk up!

GlobalSugarArt.com has this one in stock: http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=20006

karensue Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 23

I used it to make the stripes on the last cake in my gallery. It was a breeze.

PattyLen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 23

Mine is a Makin's Professional Ultimate... will that make me a professional??? I got it from Michaels with a 40% off coupon. Still in the package. Trying to get the nerve up to open it and play. I even purchased a polymer clay character "how to" book, thinking that fondant and clay are basically play dough. Now if I can just find some down time.

PattyLen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 23

Mine is a Makin's Professional Ultimate... will that make me a professional??? I got it from Michaels with a 40% off coupon. Still in the package. Trying to get the nerve up to open it and play. I even purchased a polymer clay character "how to" book, thinking that fondant and clay are basically play dough. Now if I can just find some down time.

lepaz Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 23

Thank you bobwonderbuns! Now, I want one too!!!! I wouldn't know how to work it, but I want one!

xandra83 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 23

I use a play dough extruder for basic stuff. It's a lot cheaper if you're not going to do a ton with it. Just make sure it's a new one and you wash it really well.

Wendl Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 23

Mine is also a Makin's extruder (green metal). I bought it on a whim w/my Hobby Lobby coupon.
I want to play w/it some more, but I did use the multi-hole die in it to extrude long capellini-sized strings of fondant and let them air dry just a bit and then cut them into faux-rice for the Gumbo Cake I made (but it didn't make it on the cake). At first I tried cutting them off in 'rice' size as I extruded them, but they all 'mooshed' together and it wasn't pretty.
Like I said, I can't wait to play w/it some more. Now that I have offered to make 60 cupcakes for our office Halloween party...I just may get my chance!
Good luck w/your extruder!
Wendl

pinkbox Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 23

WOW DianeLM awesome work!! Now I have more ideas! Thank you for sharing and inspiriring

pinkbox Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 23

bobwonderbuns.... global art is great ... but pricy. I got mine at Hobby Lobby in Texas and with my 40% off coupon it was $7. Great for beginning....
(wink)

pinkbox Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 23

Wendl

If you try to do rice again in the future, do you think it might work to dry the pieces first for a bit then to cut them to the size you need? Or was that what you did?

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

bobwonderbuns.... global art is great ... but pricy. I got mine at Hobby Lobby in Texas and with my 40% off coupon it was $7. Great for beginning....
(wink)

yep, they sure are! icon_razz.gif But I figure if I'm going to invest, I might as well go for broke (emphasis on broke... icon_rolleyes.gif ) I do find they have top quality stuff though. And Alan is a dream to work with! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #17 of 23

Wendl, I've had that same "smooshing" problem. Pinkbox is right about letting the strands dry for a while before cutting them into pieces. When I extrude multiple strands, I try to separate them as they come out (with my third hand! hahaha) so they don't stick together before setting up.

PattyLen Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:15am
post #18 of 23

Diane, your work blows me away. You are awesome. Now I'm inspired to actually use the clay gun. Thank you for your ideas.

thumbs_up.gif

alanahodgson Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 23

this is what I've used my extruder for so far...
LL

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #20 of 23

how do you get something long enough to go around the base of a cake with that little gun at GSA?

swingme83 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #21 of 23

i bought mine at acmoore it was $8 and i used a 50% off coupon. It is tiny yes but if you need a longer strand you can add more fondant into the chute before you run out (just be sure not to "juge" it too much or it will make a crease or whatever in the shape you are using). I used it on my three tier white wedding cake for the swags.

TooMuchCake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #22 of 23

I used my clay extruder to make the fondant ropes around the carousel horse in my photos.

Deanna

i_heart_pastry Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:56am
post #23 of 23

I use it on most of my fondant cakes for borders - I love the clean look that it gives. You can see examples in my photos. For the cake in my avatar I used several different discs.

Bec

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%