Preventing Icing From Cracking?

Decorating By avic77 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm by kelleym

avic77 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 8

My cakes always show cracks in the icing the next day after it crusts? I have a birthday cake due next weekend and it is a paid cake for my cousin. I want it to be perfect. I never worried about the cracking with my own kids cakes.
How do you prevent the icing from cracking after it crusts? Do i add something?

7 replies
kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

I have heard that adding a drop or two of vinegar to a batch of buttercream can prevent cracking. Also, make sure your cake board is very thick and sturdy - a weak cake board can cause cracks also.

crisseyann Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with kelleym on both counts. I've heard the vinegar trick works wonders. (though I have never tried it) Also, a sturdy board should help as well.

aztomcat Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 8

I think it may be your board. Last weekend I did a cake and put it on foam core board. It was too flimsy, I should have doubled it. Anyway in taking it to the client, I saw cracks appear and am sure it was from the flimsy board.

thecakestylist Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 8

1. Maybe your buttercream is too stiff. Try making it a little softer for icing your cake.

2. If you are using meringue powder, try using less or nothing at all.

3. I agree with everyone else, it can be the boards you are using. Try making them more sturdy.

4. If you still get buttercream cracks, try using a wet brush to fix them before you deliver.

I hope this helps!

avic77 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks all i do use a bit of Mergine powder as my instructor told me.
Ill try without and adding a teaspoon of viniger as well. Thanks alot

kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 8

The other thing that causes icing to crack besides a board that is not heavy enough is not enough 'fat' in the recipe. If the other things don't help much, add a tablespoon or 2 more shortening &/or butter rather than more liquid.

kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by avic77

Thanks all i do use a bit of Mergine powder as my instructor told me.
Ill try without and adding a teaspoon of viniger as well. Thanks alot

I've heard that you only need a drop or two -- be careful the first time not to add too much, you don't want to ruin the taste of your frosting! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%