Stabilized Whipped Cream?

Decorating By nadsquad Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 4:07am by delisa01

nadsquad Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to make a stabilized whipped cream WITHOUT gelatin or piping gel?

I need something that will go well as icing on an ice cream cake and from what I read on CC, stabilized whipped cream is the way to go, BUT my customer cannot eat these products. . .

Could I just use normal whipped cream? What is the advantage of it being "stabilized?"

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
nadsquad Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

JanH Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton piping gel ingredients:

Corn syrup, sugar, water, modified food starch (corn), agar gun (emulsifier), Potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, and sodium citrate.

If your customer CANNOT eat these products be sure to check the ingredients list of the ice cream.

(Just did a quick check of my Breyer's Butter Pecan and it contains corn syrup....)

ZM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 7

You can use powdered sugar instead of granulated when whipping the cream. I've had success with this and it doesn't change the taste of the cream. Good luck.

sgilmer Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

You can add a tablespoon of pudding to it. I don't think it contains gelatin.

beachcakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 7

How about Dream Whip? Just add milk to the mix. Here are the ingredients: Ingredients
Sugar, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (for Uniform Blending), Corn Syrup, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Whey (from Milk), Sodium Silicoaluminate, Acetylated Monoglycerides (for Uniform Blending), Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin (for Uniform Blending), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Thickener), Artificial Flavor, Natural Flavor, BHA (Preservative), Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Beta Carotene (for Color), Citric Acid (Preservative).

delisa01 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

Hi- My understanding is that "stabilized" means that it will hold up better in warmer weather and be more "stable" when piping details-it won't melt on you. Since it is an ice cream cake, your whip cream would be frozen and would hold it's shape just because it is frozen. I don't see why you can't use normal whip cream for an IC cake unless you wanted to pipe decorations with lots of details. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%