Need To Know If I Need To Offer Money Back On This

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:58pm by wendy1273

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:36am
post #1 of 53

I want to share my experience with my first big 50th anniversary cake. I baked my layers and froze them. TOok out the big layers and put filling inbetween them while they were frozen (the 14) THANKS CAKERY FOR THAT TIP!!!! I had bought the SPS system and LOVE it (thanks LEAHS icon_smile.gif ) I made all the cuts to the dowelling system very even. Well it iced well and stacked well..>BUT...I have these little gaps icon_sad.gif inbetween the tiers. Should I refund money for this. They aren't as bad as in the pic ... just here and there but....makes me feel weird icon_sad.gif . So..... my ?? ... should I refund a bit of money. The cake was 320.00 they gave me half a month ago and gave me the rest of the money yesterday but it's not due till tomorrow icon_sad.gif . SOOO help me please...how do I keep from having gaps or at least covering them well...and refund money? Oh the details about the cake are as follows.....white chocolate fondant/gp mix bows, white chocolate fondant homemade pearls 14, 10 and 6 inch layers icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your input on this I truly appreciate it!!

((((hugs))))))

Christi
LL

52 replies
esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:49am
post #2 of 53

If this is the finished cake I don't see any problems with it that would warrant you giving back any money. I think the cake came out beautifully. Perhaps you're stressing over something that others can't see. I really think you did a great job.

wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:46am
post #3 of 53

Thank you ESQ1031, I just really don't know what is "allowed" flaws and what isn't I guess.

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:56am
post #4 of 53

Don't refund!!! The cake looks fabulous. You see flaws that no one else can see. Even if you pointed them out to me, I say charge the full price. It's a beautiful cake.

Hugs,
Diana in VA

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:51am
post #5 of 53

It's really beautiful and I wouldn't worry about charging full price for it!

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:09am
post #6 of 53

Christi,

When I looked at your picture, the very first thing I thought was, That cake is gorgous! Then I scrolled down looking for the cake you thought had "gaps" on it.

Do not, under any circumstances, refund any money. Your cake is perfect. It is beautifully elegant, & finished! You may see what you consider an imperfection, but it is simply....stunning! (You sound like me. I think I see something wrong with the cake, and my family & freinds will ask me "Where is it? I don't see what you're talking about".

Great Job! Be satisfied in knowing that you gave your customer a wonderful 50th anniversary cake that will wow their guests! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:19am
post #7 of 53

Thank you Lori, Diane and Debbie. The stress is overwhelming. I can't wait till this cake is out of my life LOL. I loved doing the cake but I hate the wait . When I deliver this is when I guess I will feel better. icon_smile.gif

Anyways any tips on how to hide the gaps?

Thank you (((((((hugs)))))) to all!

Have a great fall day guys!

Christi

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:16am
post #8 of 53

Gorgeous cake! I see what you are takiing about and you are being far too critical on yourself. No refund needed. You know the saying "We are our own worst critics." It applies here.

wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #9 of 53

Thank you Pam icon_smile.gif

I do see the gaps, and I am worried that they will. I can't help it. STRESS where is my STRESS ball!!! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:35am
post #10 of 53

Your cake is BEAUTIFUL, and I would not have noticed any "gaps" until you pointed them out..... personally, I wouldn't have worried about it, but obviously it bothers you, so if you see a little "gap", throw a pearl in there and it will cover it up. You already have pearls on the cake, so it wouldn't look like an after thought........I would space them so it looks like part of the design, but it certainly does NOT merit a refund of any kind. I would probably just let it go... Photos pick up things that the human eye just passes over......

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:37am
post #11 of 53

Leave the cake AS IS! If you try and fix it( I did one time and ruined it), then you may mess up something and make it worse! I learned also that others do NOT see our imperfections because they don't get into it like we do! I GUARANTEE that they will LOVE this cake like I do and look at the BIG picture vs the flaws! Don't stress and NO refund please! This is AWESOME! Next time, just overlap your shells like doing the reverse shell technique instead( wilton book). I would be disappointed in you if you try to refund any money, trust me! NOW, get rid of the cake before you go bonkers! icon_biggrin.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #12 of 53

Christi If you are that worried you could put a dot of icing at the junction of each shell using a tip 7 or 5. or if those are pearls on your scroll work (which is perfect by the way) use the pearls. I hope you know what I mean.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:52am
post #13 of 53

I agree with everyone else i think it looks great. On the other hand i understand where you are coming from, if a cake does not make me happy i do something to it to make me happy. If you feel you need to do something you could do some over piping to your beautiful design.

do what makes you satisfied. icon_smile.gif

sandralita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandralita Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:48am
post #14 of 53

Hi, your cake is stunning, absolutely beautiful. I agree with Pam, if it bothers you that much, and belive me, I know what you mean!, then put a little dot of icing. Keep up the good work!
Sandra

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #15 of 53

Your cake is beautiful!! I would not give a refund at all. I would do as the above poster suggested and use a small round tip and just put a little icing dot to blend it, I wouldn't even do that though - it looks GREAT as is!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 53

I can't seem to see anything but a very beautiful cake in that picture.
but I do understand the worry of having gaps. I usually pipe a thin line of icing around the seam where the two cakes meet just before piping the border on. It helps to curb my fear of gaps.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 53

We are definataly our own worst critics. You did a wonderful job on this cake and have nothing to worry about.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 53

Sometimes we are to close to our cakes I think. I always have my daughter come nd look at my cakes to give them a second opinion because I feel I'm too close to it. (I used to ask my DH but he is TOO critical!)
When I explained my "too close" theory to my 13 year old who does my second opinions. She understood exactly and put it in terms she could understand.
She said, It's like when I'm looking at my face in the mirror and obsess about something that no one else can see because they aren't seeing it as close or like I am.
Your cake is gorgeous. I can see the gaps, but only because you pointed them out.
Did I read that right, that they look worse in the pic than they do in real life? Then really have nothing to worry about.
I agree that you could easily fix them with pearls or icing. You have happy with your art afterall...
Less is more and I too have made a cake worse by trying to "fix" it.
I wouldn't stress over it. I think I undercharge for all my cakes to eliminate that stress factor. No one's ever given me $320 for a cake yet so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about!
I know that they will love it!

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #19 of 53

Beautiful Job Christi thumbs_up.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #20 of 53

Your cake looks great. I know they will love it. I would not do any refund.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 53

Oh, and I would definitely NOT offer money back on it...then they might assume something is REALLY wrong with it that you are not telling them!
You are probably still on edge from that one crazy old bat!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #22 of 53

Your cake is lovely, you earned every cent you charged for it and definitely should NOT give a refund.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #23 of 53

This is something I learned in culinary school and I thought everyone did it.

After you get the top cake stacked on top of the bottom cake, you always run a "bead" of icing to seal the two together. I frequently use a 104 tip, larger end down. That puts a line of icing in whatever gap there is. Sometimes there's more of a gap than other times. Then the border goes on top of the line of icing. Aldo gives that border something to stick to that's right at the "seam."

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 53

Leahs - thanks for the tip.

I know cross stitching isn't cake decorating. I would take out my mistakes and re-do until I met someone who said she leaves them in. I began to think - no one else knows I made a mistake so why not let it go.

No refunds. The cake is beautiful and everyone will enjoy it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #25 of 53

Beautiful cake with no need for refunds as the pps have said... tho I have one thought: if there are gaps between the tiers hidden by borders, will it travel well? That is are the cakes stuck together well enough? That is something only you can answer depending on the support system you used. Just something to consider so there are no surprises and REAL reasons for refunds icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:35pm
post #26 of 53

She used SPS. It will travel fine!

wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #27 of 53

Thank you all for all the CC support icon_smile.gif

Thank you Leahs for the answer to my question about filling the gaps.

I took the cake to my mom's today 1/2 way to venue...down gravel roads up steep hills and the cake didn't budge icon_biggrin.gif VERY pleased with the system!!! I am however in the morning right before delivery going to use a small tip and try to "fill" in the gaps...taking my beads so I will see if I should use those or just the icing icon_smile.gif LOTS of great tips on what I should do! I don't know what I would do without you all!!!

I am so very appreciative for you all!

((((((hugs)))))

Christi

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #28 of 53

Yeah, SPS is da bomb!

wgoat5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #29 of 53

Oh yes forgot to add....I didn't heed the advice...I took it totally stacked (I was scared I'd get nervous doing it in front of a crowd) BUT....this sucker is TREMENDOUSLY heavy....so heavy I have to have help...and I'm a big gal with muscles icon_lol.gif

Will know better next time...first time a mistake...secound time...stupidity LOL

Christi

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #30 of 53

That is an awesome tip Leahs on sealing the seam thanks. I also agree with tasteebakes, we're so close to the cake doing all the details etc. we see every flaw (believe me I have a lot!) When the customer looks at it they don't have their face 2" from it and usually take in the whole thing without seeing any "flaws" Christi I think the cake is beautiful, glad delivery went well, you should be very happy with this cake as I'm sure they were!

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%