Royal Icing V/s Colour Flow

Decorating By arwa Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm by thecakestylist

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:32am
post #1 of 6

I have to make a 3 logos for 3 seperate cakes. The logos are mainly focused on the name. I want to know which will be more sturdy ( Royal Icing or colour flow) since they will be Alphabets in Capitals. Initially I planned to make fondant cutouts but I thought that might be more difficult when it comes to the S and O.

TIA

5 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

my (limited) experience is that royal icing is stronger than color flow. It's really the same icing, but the royal is denser and that's what makes it stronger.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 6

I do a lot of royal icing pieces. Wouldn't waste my money on colorflow. I prefer Wilton meringue powder in my royal icing recipe, but it's still cheaper than Wilton colorflow. Colorflow may be slightly more sturdy, but it's completely inedible whereas the royal icing logos can be eaten, if desired.

If you want to try your hand at cutting out fondant letters, roll out your fondant and let it firm up for a couple of minutes. Put your letter template on top, then with a VERY sharp craft knife, cut out the letter. Be sure you are not strentching the fondant, or pulling it with the knife, under the template. A little grease on the knife will help it slide through more easily. Once it is cut out, you can go back and trim off, or push in, any little bits of stray fondant.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 6

If your letters don't have to be real big Wilton put out a gumpaste mold set for letters and numbers.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 6

Thnx for the reply. I'm also very comfortable using Royal Icing. I'll post the pics once im done...

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 6

I think you are better with royal icing because color flow will take longer to dry. You can buy fondant cutters for letters or use templates like DianleLM suggested. I think gumpaste will work great since it is sturdier than fondant. Maybe fondant with gumtex will work too!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%