Wedding Cake With Ribbon.....help!!

Decorating By amoos Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm by amoos

amoos Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I'm making my very first wedding cakes this weekend!! icon_surprised.gif I'm soo nervous, anyway to the questions, my original plan was to do some pretty scrollwork on the cake but my practice cake didn't turn out the way I wanted. So, instead I found some beautiful satin ribbon I was going to use.

Cake is 2layer 9in round yellow w/ rasp. filling and a 6in torted choc. with whipped ganache filling. I'm using ivory wondercream (like buttercream) to ice the entire thing.

I planned on just putting a simple rope boarder at the bottom then the ribbon (mint green color) right above that. I will also use some flowers for the topper and a little on the side and bottom.

My question is will the ribbon get grease stains all over it and if you think it will, how can I avoid that??? I was going to put it on right before I took the cake to the couple.

Also, do I need to put down wax paper or something for the flowers to sit on?

Any help is soooo appreciated. Also, if you have ideas for something that might make this cake look better I'm all ears! They gave me no direction in what they wanted except ivory or white with mint green accents, so I'm kinda stumped.....I want it to be really nice but elegant at the same time.

Thanks everyone!!!!

3 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 4

My BC crusts really well. I apply the ribbon after it's assembled at the reception. The ribbon doesn't touch any "wet" icing, only crusted icing, so I don't get grease stains. I don't treat the ribbon in any way. I attach the ribbon in the back with a dot of icing so IF i get any spots at all, it's only at this point of contact. Polyeurothane ribbon is what I use. Polyester ribbon gives me spots.

I've never used satin ribbon so I've no experience with how that would work for me.

sugarshack Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 4

I back my ribbons with clean scotch tape to prevent grease.

yes i would put a little wax paper circle if you can, without it showing. or pipe a glob of icing under the flowers.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

amoos Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 4

Scotch tape.....never thought of that! Thanks for the tip, helps very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%