Getting Powder Sugar Or Cornstarch Off Finished Fondant?

Decorating By bmcd17 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm by bmcd17

bmcd17 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 17

I have tried searching to find something on this with no luck. I am pretty new to cake decorating, so please forgive me if there is an obvious answer. When you roll out MMF or regular fondant and use powder sugar or cornstarch underneath it and on the roller how do you get that off the fondant after you put the fondant on the cake? It seems like it still has a slight "powdery" look to it because it has been rolled in and with the powder sugar or cornstarch. (I watch Ace of Cakes and when they are decorating the fondant sometimes I see that powdery look I'm talking about on it, but then when they show the finished cake the fondant is all nice and clean looking).

16 replies
Erdica Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 17

I use a blush cosmetic brush to get the extra powdered sugar of my fondant pieces. It's soft enough that it won't break of pieces.

GL!

cakequeen50 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 17

Duff uses vodka to get the powder sugar off.

cavegirl Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #4 of 17

Vodka? Maybe I'm being dense, if so, sorry...but does he swab it on or brush it? How does he apply it? I am new to fondant and have the same problem. Thanks!

flowers40 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #5 of 17

You brush it on with a paint brush. It dries super quick, which keeps your piece from getting sticky. This is how they remove excess powder sugar or cornstarch from their cakes as Ace Of Cakes. Usually it is only the dark colors you are unable to dry brush to remove this access.

MommaLlama Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #6 of 17

I bet airbrushing Vodka on would work

cavegirl Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #7 of 17

Thanks, I'll have to try it. I can imagine the Julia Child jokes already when DH comes home to find me with fondant in one hand and a bottle of Schmirnoff in the other!

yffrank Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #8 of 17

I've recently did a cake with chocolate MMF and when I was finished the cake had that powdery look. I didn't know what to do to get rid of it so I tried airbrushing it with vodka and it left it with a beautiful finish.......boy was I surprised!!! I just love it when I don't know what I'm doing and it work!!!

FrostinGal Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:36am
post #9 of 17

I'll have to try the vodka trick when I get my airbrush.
I just use a pastry brush.

messyeater Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:45am
post #10 of 17

Have you tried just rubbing it gently with a smoother or the palm of your hand, I find that works for me.

ibmoser Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 17

I was recently fortunate enough to take a class with Bronwen Weber - she airbrushed vodka on the finished cake to remove the excess... She is such a hoot thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 17

I think the best way to get ps/cornstarch off fondant is just not to get it on there in the first place. Try rolling on a counter with the thinnest film of veg shortening. It also keeps the fondant from drying out.

sweetsoul Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 17

If you spray Vodka on the cake and your making a cake for children won't they get drunk off the cake?

Just Curious

Thanks
Sweet Soul. icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

Copacabanya Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 17

I agree with Leahs, I just use shortening to roll it out then I don't have to worry about the powder getting on there at all. And it really does help keep the fondant nice and pliable while you work with it, no cracks or dry spots that way.

Anya

thecakestylist Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 17

I agree with leahs.

I use the sugar or cornstarch when kneading but when rolling the fondant, I use a thin film of vegetable shortening and that way I never have a problem with that powdery look. You can use the starch/sugar on the other side to prevent roller from sticking, but that won't be visible when you cover your cake as you will get the other side.

flowers40 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17

I think both methods work. So either method you use is OK. But, as far as the kids getting drunk off the Vodka or what ever spirts you us. The answer is they will not get even the least bit drunk becuase the alcohol evaporate. It's like cooking with wine, you don't get drunk off that unless you are drinking equal amounts you are adding in. Let see 1 for you, two for me (LOL)

bmcd17 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you for your answers. That is a big help!! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%