I Want To Practice, But....

Decorating By krazykat_14 Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:50am by cinderspritzer

krazykat_14 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 20

Ok, here's my situation: I love to decorate cookies and cakes, I keep getting TONS of great ideas from television and here at CC. The problem is: what the heck do I do with them once I make them?

Now that it's getting cold, I want to practice my cookies for the holidays, but I don't know what to do with them once I'm done!!! I'm one of those odd people who can eat one cookie and be satisfied, so a whole batch of cookies would go to waste. I did get a bunch of cake dummies from Dallas Foam (thanks to the topic on here asking about good prices on cake dummies) so I can practice cakes without having to eat them.

I live with my elderly diabetic mother, my garbage disposal (teen-aged son) is away at school 500 miles away and I work in a small office with at most 3 women (who are always on diets). I wouldn't mind donating them but I don't know of any nursing homes that want a 2 story victorian haunted farm house... I can imagine contacting a local no-kill cat shelter and telling them I'd like to donate one for a fund-raiser, but then it wouldn't be practice and I would be worried that I would screw it up! Any help or suggestions, please!!! Anyone want to come up to Indiana to gnaw on a house or three?

19 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 20

Do you have a Boys and Girls club in your area? Boy Scouts or Girl Scout troops? or any kind of children's activity center perhaps at a church or day care center? Also the local police department or fire department...they might have a food drive for the holidays that you could contribute to. Meals on Wheels might be in your area...or a local food bank...check with the churches in your area too. They might have a meals program.

LittleLinda Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 20

My first thought was to mail them to your son's school. But that might cost a bit. Another thought is to freeze them and you'll always have something to grab if you get invited anywhere where you could bring something. Fially, I think you should just practice on a small scale. Cut the recipes down and don't make as much.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 20

Mail them to your son and he can share then with his friends. icon_smile.gif

You can also give them to neighbors or friends of the family or take them to work....

NanaFixIt Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 20

When I was taking classes, I started giving my cakes to my neighbors - even those I didn't know really well (I know them all better now!). They were always excited and actually got a bit upset when I finished classes and stopped making so many practice cakes!

I say - get out and meet the neighbors!

sportsmom005 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 20

Contact your local church. Ours has a community food pantry. Needy families are allowed to come in and "shop" once a month. Ours freezes tons of day old baked goods that the grocery store donates. I'm actually thinking about contacting the coordinator and seeing if she could contact me when children in those families have a birthday so I could do a cake. When a family is struggling, even a grocery store cake can see too expensive. This way, I get practice and they get a nice surprise icon_smile.gif

Chrisy

cholmberg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

Contact your local church. Ours has a community food pantry. Needy families are allowed to come in and "shop" once a month. Ours freezes tons of day old baked goods that the grocery store donates. I'm actually thinking about contacting the coordinator and seeing if she could contact me when children in those families have a birthday so I could do a cake. When a family is struggling, even a grocery store cake can see too expensive. This way, I get practice and they get a nice surprise icon_smile.gif

Chrisy

That is an -excellent- idea! thumbs_up.gif

dbax Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 20

You say you work in a small office, but do you have any friends or neighbors who work for a large company?

When I discussed practicing cakes with my husband, who for some reason hates cake, he suggested taking them to work and leaving them in the lunch room. Cake/Cookies would get eaten up quick! Even taking them to a school in your area for the teachers lounge. Just explain the reason for your generosity...As I see it, sweets, when offered for free are very appealing.

True story... My brother with his warped sense of humor, put a bowl of Bertie Bots (Harry Potter vile flavored Jelly Belly's)in a bowl on his desk and funny enough they slowly disappeared... All of them! icon_eek.gif (There are only 3 or 4 people in his company)

Melan Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbax

True story... My brother with his warped sense of humor, put a bowl of Bertie Bots (Harry Potter vile flavored Jelly Belly's)in a bowl on his desk and funny enough they slowly disappeared... All of them! icon_eek.gif (There are only 3 or 4 people in his company)

Ha Ha! I bought a pack of these for my mom once and we played "Name that JellyBean"! She was such a good sport and we had great laughs!

Doug Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:32am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat_14

I wouldn't mind donating them but I don't know of any nursing homes that want a 2 story victorian haunted farm house...

have you called?

don't assume (remember what that does!) -- I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take you up on the offer

soozun Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:34am
post #11 of 20

the nursing home people would LOVE anything you bring because it would be something different and fun in an otherwise uneventful and dreary day. Believe me. Even if you think it's not good. They will appreciate it. Just do it!

[edit]: You don't even have to stay. Call ahead and say you want to drop off some homebaked goods. Then just drop it off and leave. It's better to do that then to not do it for various concerns such as, will they want me to stay and visit or whatever?

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:51am
post #12 of 20

Almost every county in every state has a government-run nursing home. If not your county, then try one nearby.

Also, shelters for the abused or homeless families always appreciate home--baked goods, especially ones which give them reason to celebrate something at such a dreary time in their lives.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tchrmom Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:53am
post #13 of 20

I did donate lots of cupcakes and cakes to a shelter near me that serves meals. I was surprised that they could accept donations from an unlicensed kitchen, but they can and do. They loved it. If you have children, the school teachers' lounge/lunchroom is a great idea. I am a teacher and I take mine to school and they are GONE in one day. It's great. I also am a frequent library patron, and have taken 1-2 to the ladies at the library. They loved it too.

The freezer idea is great too. Mine is usually full.

BrittanyUdean Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:02am
post #14 of 20

I have asked to donate the a local Volunteers of America crisis center for children ages 6-18 who have been mentally, sexually, and physically abused. They often come from other foster situations and have really only had a handful of Birthdays in their lives. I think this is more rewarding than bringing them anywhere else!

Hope you choose my idea!

floophs Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #15 of 20

I'm in the same boat...I'm a SAHM and my hubby works in a small office. I want to make cakes but even after only 1 Wilton class our family is sick of cake. (I can't believe those words just came out of my mouth! icon_surprised.gif ) Anyways, another great place to bring them to is the teacher's lounge at schools. My hairstylist said that I could bring them into the salon as well...and I bet a person could even set up a table and serve them to the customers as they come in. People love free cake. Think outside the box...I bet any company (Target, Kohls, etc.) would LOVE to have a cake in their lunch area at any time. Go for places that have a lot of employees. Not only will this give you a lot of practice but also a lot of publicity.

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

AnythingSugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #16 of 20

I love the ideas about donating cakes so that children could receive birthday cakes.

I can bake everyday and get rid of them. I love baking. My DH works on a military base and he takes cake to work several times a week. When he takes a cake, the phones and radios start buzzing. The soldiers who are available come in for cake and often take slices back for others. I think the soldiers who are away from home really appreciate this. I have gotten many, many emails over the past couple of years thanking me for the cakes. This is my inspiration to keep on baking when I know soldiers are getting my cakes and enjoying them.

nikki1201 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #17 of 20

this is a really great thread.... I am in the same situation! I will never stop bring treats to my office (i'm a dental assistant and myself, the other girls, and the office ladies are absolutely in love with anything with sugar.... go figure!) BUT, when i feel like we need a break i often make cookies and cupcakes and give them to my office manager to take to her church for bake sales and fundraisers. i plan on making a few cookie bouquets for my grandmothers church - they will be having a silent auction for a fundraiser for their xmas musical thing. i also just find suitable occasions/people to make cookies for depending on what new cutters i order. when i got the 'tool box" set, i made a basket of 'tools' for my BF to give to his boss (he's a carpenter) and when i got some baby themed cutters, i had to ask around to all my friends to see if they knew anyone who was pregnant and planned to attend their baby shower. i had a coworker whose sis was having a baby shower in the following weeks, so i made a nice big basket for my friend to take with. That's how i usually do it! If i can't find a place to take them, i just ask around, and someone's always bound to need something. Right this moment, i'm making a cake for my friends daughter's bday. and a cake for my cousins birthday. and tomorrow and sunday i'm making my halloween cookies (finally) for a coworker to mail to her kids in college.

there's always someone who would be happy to take free cakes/cookies off your hands!

krazykat_14 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #18 of 20

icon_cry.gif I feel like such a completely selfish and inconsiderate cow!!! I didn't even think about the children's organizations... or the birthday cakes... icon_cry.gif I worry about the senior center ideas, though, I worked in a hospital and a few evil nurses scared the bejezes out of me icon_sad.gif - some people are on VERY strict and careful diets... I do like the idea of giving stuff to neighbors to take to work, I've lived here for 30+ years, so I already know who works where, unfortunately, most people are retired, work out of state, or work in small offices/out of their homes... I do know someone who works at a steel mill, though... icon_evil.gif mill workers love cookies! I just need to figure out what to do with the haunted gingerbread house... I REALLY want to do it, but I'm still unsure about what to do with it once I'm done icon_confused.gif ... Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!...

BTW, I just have to say, I love the name, floophs! I've been saying it outloud for about 20 minutes and the cat is convinced that I've officially lost it now...

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #19 of 20

You could see if the township you live in would like to display the haunted gingerbread house in the lobby of the township building. Or perhaps in a store window near a busy pedestrian traffic intersection.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:50am
post #20 of 20

I take my practice cakes all over. I've given them to local nursing homes and a hospital by my house for the staff, schools in the neighborhood and the local recreation center and the staff at the YMCA. they all eat it or split it up and take it home to their families. It will get eaten by someone and they never care that I make them at home for fun, they're just happy to have a free cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%