Help!!

Business By Cakeladie Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm by summernoelle

Cakeladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeladie Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 4

I don't know what to do. I made a castle cake (from the Wilton castle kit) for this lady who picked it up and drove it over three hourse to her house. I had to work today so my husband met her about half an hour from our house and put the cake in her car. It was fine all during the drive to meet her and during the move from our car to hers. A few hours later I get a call that all the turrets fell off and the cake is ruined. So, my question is do I need to refund all or part of her money? My husband said she had two dogs in the car with her and didn't have the air conditioning on (it's in the 80's here today). So, we're thinking she must have done something while driving that caused this to happen since it was fine while he was driving. After someone takes possion of a cake is it still my responsibility??? icon_cry.gif

3 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 4

No...once she has it in her possession it is her problem, although you could be nice and try to help her over the phone on making repairs.

Don't feel bad, especially if this is the delivery agreement you made with her. She had 2 dogs in the car....she's lucky there was anything left to ruin!

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 4

once someone takes the cake, it's theirs to take care of. i can't imagine having 2 dogs in the hot car and expect to make it home with a cake without incident.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 4

Do not refund it! It is not your problem anymore. Basically, once it leaves your sight, that is it. You have no idea if she dropped it, or if she caused the damage. A lesson I learned recently is to make someone sign something that says that they approved the cake and are responsible for the transportation. There is just no way for you to know what happens after it leaves you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%