Charging Extra For Red Icing?

Business By pastryjen Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm by cakesksa

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 3

Just made a batch of red buttercream...what a pain that was. Does anyone charge extra for icing a cake with mostly red icing? As a gift, I am making a Lightening McQueen. I tried to talk the woman out of her idea but I couldn't get through to her.

Just curious!

2 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 3

I too would try to dissuade anyone from a cake with lots of red or black icing. As you say, it's a pain to make, tastes funny and stains everyone's mouth. I made a Laser Quest vest cake for my son's birthday which was covered in black fondant, and I made the kids peel it off before eating the cake. They were hyper enough as it was without needing all that extra colour!
As for charging extra, well, I guess that would be one way of talking customers out of it! It does take extra colour, as well as extra work, so you could justify it that way.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 3

I only use dark/bright red or other dark colors as borders on cakes. If the main part of the cake needs to be red (or other deep/bright colors) I use an airbrush to spray white icing with airbrush color. You don't need much color and it doesn't end up tasting nasty!

Julie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%