Help!!! Cupcake Disaster

Decorating By punkiin Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:30am by kaecakes

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 18

Okay! I used a DH butter recipe box mix and used my NEW KA mixer. The KA instruction book said it would be better to follow instructions on the box. So I did. I beat the recipe for 4 minutes on medium (4) speed. The cupcakes did not rise...they just sort of melted...at least that's what it looked like to me. When I took one out of the cupcake paper...it was like AIR...

What did I do wrong???

I baked it them at 350 for 20 minutes....just like the directions said.

17 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 18

Might be a stupid question, but did you check the expiration date on the box???

iloveconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iloveconfections Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 18

Not sure if this is the answer, but 4 minutes is a long time to beat. It puts a lot of air in the batter. I have never done longer than 30 sec to mix, and then 2 mintues to beat on medium. Hope that helps!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 18

I've never had a DH mix that said beat for 4 mins. Is that what yours said to do? That seems like too long to me....I wonder if it was a misprint?
Otherwise, the only time I had that happen, was when I put too much liqued in...I wish I could be of more help.

iloveconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iloveconfections Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 18

also...which attachment were you using? The paddle or the wisk?

dogwalkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwalkin Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 18

I use the paddle attachment, beat for slow for about 30 seconds to mix and then up the speed a bit for 2 minutes.

4 Minutes seems to long to mix to me.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 18

i actually beat mine longer... there is some air in it but i beat the pan on the counter before putting in the oven.. they rise nice and fluffy...

punkiin Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 18

I used the flat paddle and the cake box said 4 minutes. The expiration date is August 2008. I have two other boxes in the cabinet and they too say 4 minutes. It's the Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden box mix. I'm so upset. icon_cry.gif These were for a church even tonightat 6:30. Now I'm going to have to buy cupcakes. icon_sad.gif

Anyone used this cake mix before. You actually use butter and NOT oil. Would that make the difference.[/b]

punkiin Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #9 of 18

One other thing in regarding to the disaster. The batter was almost like a fluffy pudding...it wouldn't pour in the pan.

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:26am
post #10 of 18

All butter recipes call for butter not oil and most all butter recipes will become like what you described as a fluffy pudding....I use only Betty Crocker, so I have absolutely no experience with DH....but I will say I am amazed that the box said to beat for 4 mins. I always do 30 second on low and 2 mins. on med. Sorry you didn't have success with your cupcakes. Maybe it was just a bad batch from DH.

edited to add that I also use my stand mixer (Cook's brand from JC Penny) & that I use the paddle attachment.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:32am
post #11 of 18

gotta be something wrong with the mix...........beating that long shouldn't keep them from rising.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #12 of 18

I just wanted to say a couple months ago I tried the DH butter cake and it didn't turn out for me either. I beat it like 2 1/2 minutes or so and put it in a 8" pans and it didn't rise for me either. I ended up throwing it out and just using the white or yellow mix.

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:41am
post #13 of 18

you may got a bad box....I haven't made a box cake in a long time but the last time I did one it came out like...gelatin....cooked gelatin...it was nasty didn't rise or anyting...I assumed that I got an old box and the leavings that they used went poof.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 18

That is really strange. I used the DH butter cake for cupcakes about a month ago and they came out perfect. I don't remember the 4 minutes beating though. I'm pretty sure I did it for only 2 minutes. But yes, the batter does come out rather thick.

I'm thinking it was the 4 minute beating that is the culprit.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:52am
post #15 of 18

Ok, I used the DH butter mix for a wedding cake I had due this weekend. Followed the directions exactly and just as you said, ended up w/ a "fluffy pudding." I put it in the pan and baked it anyway, but didn't turn out the way I wanted it. I personally dislike DH (just my opinion) and always use Pillsbury. Good luck for next time!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #16 of 18

You are supposed to mix it for 4 minutes. Every box of DH butter cake I've ever made said 4 minutes. I love it for a cake, but I'm not a fan for cupcakes. For some reason, every time I've made butter cupcakes from the DH mix, they've been way too light and fluffy. Doesn't turn out the same for a regular cake.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #17 of 18

I used to love DH Butter Recipe Mix, but about a year ago, it seems the formula changed or something. I don't even bother with it any more. I do sometimes use butter instead of oil in a regular mix.

Also, KA is much more powerful than a hand mixer. I beat my regular mixes 30 sec to blend on low, scrape and beat 1 minute on 4 and they are perfect.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #18 of 18

I would contact DH to let them kow of the problem, they need to know incase it is their problem. They may even send you cupons to replace your mixes that were not right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%