Why Do Some People Act Like....

Lounge By jen1977 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm by cookingfor5

jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 16

I should give them things for nothing just because they have 5 kids? I have some children's items listed on a local free website for sale. I've had three people contact me about items, I send them pics and prices, and they ask if they can have the items because they have 5 kids and can't afford what I'm asking for the items. Come on people...$3 for a pair of little boys Nike tennis shoes that look brand new is not too much to ask! icon_evil.gif I paid almost $40 for them! I didn't make these people have five kids that they either: 1) obviously can't afford or 2) they are trying to use as an excuse to make people feel sorry for them! If the ycan't afford $3 for a pair of Nike tennis shoes for their kid, they obviously can't afford to have 5 kids! I have no problem with large families, but come on...if you can't afford them, then stop having them and expecting people to hand you things to clothe them!

Off my soapbpx now!

15 replies
Memie Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 16

I know what you mean. We have a yearly neighborhood garage sale and it's amazing how people expect you to GIVE the items away. Like you must be out of your mind to expect them to pay $3.00 for a pair of Nikes and they'll offer a dollar. I was selling a $300.00 digital camera for $50.00 and some man wanted to pay $15.00. I told him I'd give it to my grandson to play with before I gave it away for $15.00. He came back later and was willing to pay the full $50.00 - with a check. Like I'm stupid enough to take a check from someone I don't know. I got so fed up with all the haggling that now I just take a picture of everything and take it to Goodwill and take the tax deduction.

BoothsBest Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 16

AMEN!!

JRAE33 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 16

What I don't understand is why they are bothering you? If they can't afford your prices, then move on. My goodness, they can get shoes and so forth at their local GoodWill and other thrift stores. We have a community clothing store in our town and you can get a bag of clothes for $4. I have no problem with people having a large family. If you need to go to the thrift store, no problem. But don't expect a hand out from someone else. For all they know you could be selling your goods to put food on your table?! Why do they assume you can afford to just give your things away?

JRAE33 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 16

What I don't understand is why they are bothering you? If they can't afford your prices, then move on. My goodness, they can get shoes and so forth at their local GoodWill and other thrift stores. We have a community clothing store in our town and you can get a bag of clothes for $4. I have no problem with people having a large family. If you need to go to the thrift store, no problem. But don't expect a hand out from someone else. For all they know you could be selling your goods to put food on your table?! Why do they assume you can afford to just give your things away?

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 16

I came from a family of 6 kids back in the days when a stay at home mom was the norm. My gosh, we'd NEVER expect someone to do that just because we were a big family! We would have been in super big trouble to even THINK about asking such a thing!

Part of the big "entitlement" mentality, I guess.

jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 16

I listed the prices for the items in the title! If you can't afford it, why even bother wasting my time be replying, then asking for pictures and such? It's just so annoying, and honestly, right now, I could use the money! Normally, I would rather give things away to someone that I KNOW needs them, but, Christmas is coming up, and I'm a stay at home mom of two kids, and I'm trying to put back for it! Around the holidays, every penny counts! Like I said, I have nothing against large families or thrift stores...I'm pretty thrifty myself and grew up in a family of four kids and a close friend who lieved with us for 8 years. After my mom remarried, there were 8 total in our house! Just please don't waste my time if you know you're just looking for a handout!

krysoco Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 16

sorry double post

krysoco Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 16

I'm pregnant w/my 4th child and I intent to have a 5th child in the future. Ppl don't have children b/c they can or can't afford them. While it is def. wrong to ask ppl for hand outs, it is also not nice to think that the only ppl who should have big families are those w/money. I would never ask anyone for anything that I didn't think was rightfully mine. I teach my kids the same. I sometimes think about what would happen if my DH got hurt and couldn't work. I have a teaching degree and there's no way that I'd ever be able to raise my family on that income. Bad things can happen to good ppl even those w/a bunch of kids. There will always be ppl who want free hand-outs and may use their kids as an excuse. I personally think the way our country is currently running, we're fueling the "gimme" mentality.

krysoco Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 16

sorry again

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

I personally think the way our country is currently running, we're fueling the "gimme" mentality.

And it's not just "poor" people. I find that people WITH money are the WORST at thinking they deserve everything for nothing. For some reason, because they "have money" then we should all be in awe of them and want to do everything for free.

Didn't Donald Trump get a lot of his wedding donated just for the exposure for the vendor? The one man in the world who can afford ANYTHING and he gets things DONATED??????

Dordee Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #12 of 16

If they can't afford the extremely low price of $3.00 for a pair of Nikes then I agree that they should move on. I just can't see asking for anything to be given to me unless I absolutely didn't have a dime and had absolutely no way to get any money and then the only thing I would ask for would be for food and clothing for my son. PERIOD.

I also get fed up with rich people thinking that they are owed something because they are rich. Example: My MIL is in charge of the feast for our town's festival. It is a catered event in which some of our town's great (making my sarcastic face) citizens reinact a treaty signed long ago between Daniel Boone and the Indians regarding an agreement to get along and make peace with each other. Well my MIL was telling me that most of the festival committee members got in free as well as getting in their families free. This irritates the life out of me because I think if everyone else has to pay then they should have to too. It's only fair. I'm sure there is a poor family that would love to take their kids to the feast but can't afford it and the people of the town that can most afford it gets in free. I'm sorry but that really chaps my butt.

O.K. off my soapbox now....

lardbutt Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 16

I am having my 5th child in 12 days (yes I'm counting) and I would never expect a freebie!

I have said this before, but it has been my experience that those who most likely need true help never ask for it.

mommachris Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:10am
post #14 of 16

I have eight wonderful blessings and would never consider asking for something for free just because I have a large family. I expect to pay my way and hope that I have setting a good example for my children by showing them that if you can't afford it then you don't "need" it. By that I mean that we don't have pizza delivered since that money is better spent on jeans for the kids.

I agree that this lady is a grabber and she may or may not actually have five kids. The story works to get her what she wants with little or no out of pocket.

It may be her 'need' but it is your item to sell. If you wanted to give them away you would have stated so. Don't let her pushing make you feel bad. Wish her good luck with her shopping but send her on her way.

mommachris.

jen1977 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:52am
post #15 of 16

I really hope that no one thought I was trying to bash large families...I really wasn't. It just seems ot be an excuse that I get a lot when trying to sell things. I give lots of stuff away, and am very picky about what I sell. I ended up taking the stuff to Once Upon a Child so I can be done with it. They are a rip off, but at least you don't have to worry about the haggling!

cookingfor5 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #16 of 16

I definitely don't think you were bashing large families. I can understand how you feel. You did the right thing to tell them no. Giving in to them would just enable and encourage them to have poor manners. Selling items is always interesting. How about the people who show up at the end of your sale and offer to take the extras away for you????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%