To Nail Or Not To Nail

Decorating By sweet_honesty Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:02pm by CherryBomb

sweet_honesty Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

I tried the flower nail trick a while back and it made no difference (to me at least icon_rolleyes.gif ) on the baking time. Add to that the flower nail turned the most God awful colour (a weird shade of tarnish with the colours of the rainbow like when you pour engine oil on water). I have a 10", 3" high cake to bake this evening and I am torn as to whether or not to try it again. Any other tricks of the trade.... ?

8 replies
sweet_honesty Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone???????????

awolf24 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm...I'm not too sure why it changed colors like that. Did you spray or coat it with anything?

I use flower nails all the time and just give them a good coating of cooking spray and they have never changed colors. I don't really notice a reduction in baking time but more so that the cake bakes more evenly flat on top, without a dome on it.

jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

I don't use flower nails, baking cores, or bake even stripes. I have been doing cakes for 26 years, the only advise I have is bake at 325. I don't know if you are using scratch or boxed mixes I use Pillsbury.
So far I have never had a problem with my cakes no matter how large getting done in the middle. The bigger cakes, 14 and above require nearly an hour baking time.
Hope this helps

Jibbies

dueter Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, one of my nails did the same thing. I thought I did something wrong.
Maybe it is the quality of the nail. Does anyone know if there is a difference?

sweet_honesty Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys.

I coated it with crisco and floured it and just put it flat side down in the pan. Poured in the batter and baked.

I already bake at 325...always. Learned that the hard way. I always bake from scratch as well. Boxed cakes used to give me upset stomach when I was younger and I never really had a taste for them since Mummy used to bake from scratch.

I guess I'll just do what I always do...... pop the cake in the oven and hope for the best.

Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 9

I don't use heating cores or flower nails. I grease-only-no-flour the pans; bake at 325; use baking strips on all pans, no matter how big or small.

Here is a thread where I explain the "science" of baking strips and why they work. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

My cakes always rise higher than the pan, like the pic in this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-334013-0.html

With the years of experience jibbies has, sounds like the reduced heat is a big factor since her cakes are turning out great without baking strips. She is reinforcing the theory in the above link that if the outside is baking faster than the inside, you will have hard corners and big domes.

sweet_honesty Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 9

I read somewhere that you can make your own bake even strips by tearing up an old dish rag and soaking it with water and then fastening them on just like the bake even strips. Anyone tried this?

CherryBomb Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9

Nice title! Lol!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%