Help B/c Not Crusting???

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 12:40am by woodthi32

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a cake, as we speak and I iced it and waited about ten mins so I could roll it smooth and its not crusted??? It's humid outside but no more than it usually is. I did use french vanilla coffee creamer instead of heavy cream but I've done that before and it always crusts. so what did I do wrong and what can I do to fix it? I've iced it pretty smooth but I really wanted it to be flawless.

11 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 12

I wish I knew how to help. I have yet to get BC to crust on a cake, but had no problem on cupcakes. I know, weird! I did find out from someone on CC that if you use a creamer with corn syrup (International Delight) that the corn syrup will prevent crusting. I changed to one without corn syrup (CoffeeMate) and haven't had any luck with that either though, except on cupcakes. Maybe add more PS to your BC next time? I know, that doesn't help you now! I feel your pain!

woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

are you using all butter?

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 12

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html

My recipe is in the above link. I've never had a problem with non-crusting. It holds up in 90 degree heat, super high humidty (thunderstorm broke during the outdoor reception!) in August.

woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My recipe is in the above link. I've never had a problem with non-crusting. It holds up in 90 degree heat, super high humidty (thunderstorm broke during the outdoor reception!) in August.

Is it the dream whip that makes it crust? Because shortening alone doesn't crust........

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 12

No idea. All I know is that I've used it for 25 years with no problems. My roses are crusted enough to handle by hand in 2-3 hours of air drying. It crusts in just a few minutes to enable me to Melvira the cakes. I never noticed a diff with new crisco and was actually very surprised to read of all the issues everyone was having. I've NEVER in my life had a cake-meltdown. It crusts on the outside for handling ... stays soft on the inside for eating.

I don't know why it works. I just know that it does. thumbs_up.gif

jenbenjr Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Is it the dream whip that makes it crust? Because shortening alone doesn't crust........

????I have an all shortening recipe and it crusts nicely. Anyway, I have had this problem a couple times with my icing not wanting to crust. I usually just put the cake in the fridge for a while and this helps alot! thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 12

Yep I used International delight, and its a 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe. It always crusts though just not today icon_sad.gif Oh well I smoothed it out pretty good and I'm happy with it. Thanx for all yall's replies!

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:18am
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Crusting has to do with the ratio of fat to powder sugar. The more sugar you have the more/faster it will crust. The more fat you have the slower it will take to crust and in some cases it will never crust.

To the orginal question, sometimes the weather does affect. Sometimes you have to give it a little more time to crust.

woodthi32 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

Crusting has to do with the ratio of fat to powder sugar. The more sugar you have the more/faster it will crust. The more fat you have the slower it will take to crust and in some cases it will never crust.

To the orginal question, sometimes the weather does affect. Sometimes you have to give it a little more time to crust.

Oh, ok! Thanks. But it must affect the crusting somewhat, right? Because I have noticed that my shortening cakes don't crust nearly as much as all butter....which sometimes crusts too much! And I have also read, I think at baking911, that shortening doesn't crust as well, so I always assumed that was what I was experiencing..........

TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Oh, ok! Thanks. But it must affect the crusting somewhat, right? Because I have noticed that my shortening cakes don't crust nearly as much as all butter....which sometimes crusts too much! And I have also read, I think at baking911, that shortening doesn't crust as well, so I always assumed that was what I was experiencing..........

I always use all crisco, and it usually crusts in less than 10 mins. I have had it crust before I was even completely done icing the cake. I don't work with butter so I can't say how fast or slow that crusts.

When you use the butter or crisco are you using the same recipe and just subing out those two things? And I know some say the new crisco has affected their icing. It hasn't mine, but who knows....

woodthi32 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #12 of 12

Yeah, I have heard that too about the new trans fat free Crisco. I have always just substituted 1:1. Maybe that's the deal. Not that it is bad to crust less. I have had more problems with all butter cracking. I just grew up on all butter and stuck with it for the most part, always have thought it tasted better, but I haven't used "wedding bouquet" or that other expensive flavorful stuff that Earlene sells (can't remember the name, starts with a "b"?) Maybe that will help add some richness to it.......thanks for all your input. I am so looking forward to using Sharon Zambito's recipe and method! Just watched it last night and was mesmerized.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%