Can Fondant Be Piped?

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm by CakeDiva73

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 5

Can fondant be thinned out to a piping consistency? If so, how would you go about doing this -- thinning with water or piping gel?

4 replies
girltrapped Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

Good question....I look forward to someone with more knowledge than I giving us the correct answer! icon_wink.gif

tytyrita Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 5

Oh yes you can, but be ready for achy palms and lots of ripped piping bags..lol
You need to thin the fondant, by kneading in lots of Trex( i believe you call it shortening in the US), then you dip in very hot water and knead, by now it will be soft and mushy like chewing gum, keep dipping in hot water till it can drip from your hands, scoop into your bag and pie away. Now be warned, it does harden up when it cools slightly so you need to keep dipping your bag in hot water. If you ask me it's too much hard work, i used it for my stand up care bear, cos i was going to cover it all in fondant, but it all went wrong and had loads of coloured fondant, i simply could not waste, my palm ached for hours and i lost my best Wilton bag icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I'm doing cookies and I have the colored fondant -- just didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out how to recreate those colors in royal icing. I figured thinning the fondant would be a better bet. Thanks for the heads up! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

You could try using a cookie shooter disc to extrude it into the style/shape you like......tiny ropes to outline, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%