Timeline Help!

Decorating By mommabaker Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm by mommabaker

mommabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabaker Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 4

I have ready several posts reguarding timelines for baking and decorating cakes but I have a few questions. I am going to try and make my daughter's first birthday cake for her party at 2pm on a saturday. I would like to be completely done on friday so that on saturday I can decorate the location, make sure she gets her nap and other last minute details. I figured I would bake and freeze on the sunday before. Take out to thaw on thursday and crumb coat. then on friday finish icing and decoration the cake. It will be mostly buttercream with maybe a few fondant decorations. My question is this: will the cake be ok to sit out from thursday night until saturday at 2 and how far in advance can I make the fondant accents. I am new to this stuff and any help would be amazing!

Brandy

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

I use a crisco-only BC and I make my wedding cakes on Thursday (bake, ice, decorate). They sit out until Sat delivery and they are fine. I've done family cakes on this same schedule, so yes, I have eaten them on that Saturday and know from personal experience that they are more than fine.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use a crisco-only BC and I make my wedding cakes on Thursday (bake, ice, decorate). They sit out until Sat delivery and they are fine. I've done family cakes on this same schedule, so yes, I have eaten them on that Saturday and know from personal experience that they are more than fine.

Ditto

Jibbies

mommabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabaker Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the input. How long does it usually take for fondant to dry. I've never worked with it before so it should be interesting. I am going to attemp to recreate this cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_440883.html

I was going to try to make the beak and feet out of fondant. Do you think rolled buttercream would work or is it too soft?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%