Coloring Fondant

Decorating By beverlyanne Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm by bmcd17

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,
Is there any reason why I shouldn't color a batch of fondant while mixing the ingredients in my KA? Obviously I want a lot of the same color & didn't know if adding color to the fondant in the "mixing stage" would compromise the final product. Thanks.

Bev

3 replies
mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 4

Well if you're doing MMF I have found that adding the color to the melted marshmallows is the easist way. It's easy to see what the final color will come out to be. It will be the same as what the marshmallows are, only dull, not shiny. So it might even appear about one shaded lighter, but that's much easier than re-kneading the whole batch and getting color all over your hands.

The only thing to watch out for when adding the color during the mixing, is the consistency since you're adding slightly more liquid. But it would be the same (I think) even if you added it after you finished making the fondant.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 4

If I have a large batch of one color I put the color in during the mixing stage, but I have learned, perfect the color that you want when you are melting the marshmallows rather than when you are mixing it in the sugar. For some reason, if you do it when mixing in the sugar stage, it does not turn out right.

bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 4

I've only worked with MMF and similar to mmgiles I add the icing color right after melting the marshmallows and before adding the powdered sugar. The color turned out the same, just not so shiny, after all was said and done. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%