How Do You Price Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By mommyandlovinit Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm by kelleym

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 3

Please help!! I have a lady that wants to order a wedding cake from me and wants to know how much, it will be in feb. and she said she needs a big cake but unsure about the number of guest, but i dont know where to start on pricing icon_redface.gif I dont want to over or under price Please Help!!

2 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 3

I think a lot of people use the Wilton cake measurements to figure out how much each cake will feed. Of course they are approximate numbers. From what I understand, most caterers use the Wilton cake cutting methods as well.

What I did was figure out how much it costs per serving. I also spent some time researching what other bakeries where charging around me. And that's how I ended up with how much per slice I charge.

It can also change depending on the detail work of the cake. If she wants a very detailed and elaborate cake, you'd charge more because it's going to take a lot of time.

GL!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 3

Call local bakeries in your area and ask what their starting price for wedding cakes is. Do not call the grocery store or Wal-Mart, those prices aren't comparable to what you should charge.

From what I've seen here on CC, depending on the region, most people are charging anywhere from $2.00 - $5.00 per serving for wedding cakes. I charge $3.50 per serving.

As far as head count, at my bridal consultation I always get a rough estimate and come up with a total price. The bride pays 50% of the total to book the cake. 2 weeks before the wedding, we discuss the final headcount and adjust the number of servings (and therefore total due) if necessary. This is the time the final payment is due.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%