Soooooo Over... My Head

Decorating By Machel Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm by bcake1960

Machel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Machel Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 15

so I am a super novice who can't even really make shells and couldn't make a BC rose to save my life. I have done a couple birthday cakes and stuff but mostly for free just to get started. So an old friend called to say she is getting married again and asked if I wanted to do her cake. I said yea and we agreed that I would do it as a gift. Well now she tells me that it is for 200 people!!!!! I don't have a clue how to do something like that! I figured second marriage for her, 3rd for him and they would do something little in their house for maybe 50 max. What is a giant wedding cake without flowers???? Any advise on easy, easy cakes that look nice? Thank goodness I have until April!!!

Machel

14 replies
Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 15

You can always use fresh flowers.. That's what I do because I can't do flowers either! My first wedding cake is in my pictures if you want to check it out..I'm working on another tonight that I will post pictures of tomorrow..
Good Luck!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 15

First of all, take deep breaths. icon_smile.gif April is a long way away. Practice, practice, practice. Make cakes for anyone and everyone you know. Get a styrafoam dummy and practice frosting it. The hardest part of a wedding cake is getting the icing smooth and the cake straight and level. If you can do that, place some fresh flowers and a bead border on it, and boom you're done. Remember, a wedding cake is just a lot of little cakes. Check out the Wilton site for lots of possible size combinations:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/choosing/index.cfm

Here is one of my very simple wedding cakes with fresh flowers.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_93732.html

Here's a simple fondant one by GrannieJ that is so beautiful you don't notice how simple it is!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_873953.html

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 15

I am super new too and haven't made any flowers but simple ones. I did see a post not long ago on how to make Duff Goldman's roses. I will add the link. I haven't made any yet but with a little practice I'm sure you could! Hope this helps. Thanks awoisch for posting that!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melanie

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1149096.html

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 15

Fresh flowers add so much to any cake, plus they draw attention away from any imperfections--also, if you can't perfect the art of smoothing the icing, you might practice learning how to do basketweave or cornelli lace--both so easy, but impressive!

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 15

And when in doubt, you can always buy premade flowers for decoration as well.

Good luck!
Debbie

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 15

Congrats on your first wedding gig! IMO, the biggest challenge is construction, not decoration. If you don't want to tackle a stacked cake for 200, you can arrange several single tiers on stands of varying heights.

I agree with the others as far as what to practice - making level cakes, smoothing the icing, and practicing cornelli lace and basketweave. Get your hands on a few cake dummies and just keep at it.

Good luck!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 15

Super new to all this myself....doing my first wedding cake (as well as expecting my first baby anyday now!) this weekend. I practiced a cake and made flowers and scrollwork on it.....hhm, not at elegant as I wanted. So, I went and purchased some satin ribbon and picked out some fresh flowers. The florist even recommended putting in a few faux pearls to dress it up. Fresh flowers add SOOOOO much more than icing ones anyway, and a quick way to add color and elegance (imo) is the satin ribbon, plus can't get much easier than that icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 15

Diane is right about the construction. If doweling and pillars-n-plates makes you nervous, check out the acrylic stands (see my M&M cake for an example: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415413 ). You can buy premade flowers at a cake supply shop; you can use real or silk flowers; a ribbon base with swiss dots is simple.

And as Kelleym said, a wedding cakes is just a bunch of little cakes. One at a time ..... just think of them one at a time.

here's some wilton links to servings sizes (so you know what size pans to use) and assembly tips:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/building/index.cfm

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 15

I'm fairly new as well. Just wanted to say YOU CAN DO IT!!! And with all the help from great people on CC, you'll do a great job. Practice and confidence!

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 15

Luckily you have time on your side to practice and maybe take a cake decorating class. Are their any cake stores or Michael's in your area that offer classes? They teach you the basics and then the possibilities are endless from there.

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 15

There was a photo, that I cannot find at the moment, using fresh flowers. The flowers were fabulous and very unusual. I know you're doing this as a gift and these flowers are expensive but the WOW factor is extreme. Here's the link to the one site that I found a picture. Sorry I couldn't find the cake here on CC.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2007/September/06/style/stories/03style.htm

thecakemancan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemancan Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on your first wedding gig! IMO, the biggest challenge is construction, not decoration. If you don't want to tackle a stacked cake for 200, you can arrange several single tiers on stands of varying heights.

I agree with Diane on this one, you could use the wilton cakes'n'more stand, it seems highly customizable and i perfect base for any style of cake

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 15

Hey, you can do this. Take a deep breath. Relax. I made my first wedding cake and never had lessons. I didn't know how to do fancy style frosting so I frosted it and covered the frosting with fondant. I painted the fondant with luster dust and put some flowers on it that I had made with the fondant and gumpaste. The thought of doing it was scarier than actually doing it. Don't forget to post your picture here when your done.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 15

Amysue,
You are going to do just fine... I say that to myself every time I do a wedding cake too. "This is just little cakes put together to make a big cake! " Really read about construction.. IT MAKES THE CAKE.. Check into the Stress free system if this is something you will be doing again. Otherwise the multi separate tiers are a great look and no stacking... all on their individual stands.. no stress there...OH!! Check out Sugarshacks new DVD on how to frost a super smooth cake with Buttercream I just got mine yesterday and it is great!!! Very basic but ton's of information!!! I have been decorating for 23 years and learned new things... totally worth it to have !! Especially if you are just starting out.... Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%