Non-Decorated Cake

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm by fem128

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 7

I had this lady call and say her sister was getting married in two weeks. She wanted to see if I could make her a 3 tier undecorated cake, for them to put silk flowers on. I tell her yes, and that the price would be 203.50. A three tier cake would serve 74, which would make it $2.75 a serving. She said that was too much, and that her sisters budget was $120.00. She wanted it for 1 dollar and 13 cents cheaper a serving. I guess I have two problems with that. 1. Around here, I think a 3 tier cake decorated at walmart starts at $150.00. She wants me to make her a home made cake even cheaper. 2. I kind of have a problem doing a cake like this. If I make her a cake to decorate with flowers herself, that still looks like my work. What if it doesn't look good? The people at the wedding, and the pictures will say that my bakery did this. How do you all feel on situations like this? Do you make plain cakes for people to decorate themselves?

6 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 7

What does she mean by an "undecorated" cake? One with no icing at all? Or one frosted in basic white?

The majority of my brides want a "simple white cake with fresh flowers". I do not consider these cakes to be "undecorated". It takes skill and experience to be able to frost a cake well enough to be considered a wedding cake. The price for these cakes is the same as any other wedding cake - $3.00/serving.

Don't back down from your price, which was more than reasonable in the first place.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 7

She just wanted it decorated in buttercream icing with borders on it. Nothing else. She then wanted to put silk flowers on it herself.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with the Cakeboss. Frosting a cake is still decorating. Plus, you would still have to add a little border at the end.

If I were you, I would offer to decorate it with the silk flowers for them. Tell them that if they already have the flowers, you'll decorate it for them. And it's up to you if you want to up the fee or not. Because really we all know it would be better for you to do it than them - as a cake decorator you have an eye for these kind of things.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 7

I have a customer that used a local bakery for years before she met me and started ordering my cookies. When she found out I made cakes, she was very curious about my buttercream, because that is why she claims she liked this bakery's cakes. I told her I use all butter and a cooked sugar, versus the bakery used a shortening/PS recipe, and they wouldn't taste the same. While she orders cakes for gifts and other people from me, for her personal family cakes, she goes to that other bakery and orders plain cakes and extra frosting, and brings it to me to 'put my touch on it'. I'm flattered, and I don't mind. I know my cakes taste good, but she just has a preference for their particular icing recipe. Personally, I love having the boring part done for me (baking and mixing) so I can have some fun decorating! The only concern I have is that she credit both of us for the creation - I would hate for someone to not like the cake taste but want a 'cute cake' - it has to be good from all sides.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 7

For $1.13 a serving she should make it herself - maybe it will look as good as this one. icon_lol.gif

http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingcakesfoodmenus/ss/decoweddingcake_10.htm

All kidding aside - a plain frosted white cake is not "undecorated". In fact, without any decoration, the simplicity is deceptively hard - it must be perfect because there is no other decoration. I stress more over these cakes than elaborate ones! (This is a link to one of my "simple white with fresh flowers" wedding cakes).
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_93732.html

fem128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fem128 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 7

OT
to kelleym: you are terrible (in a good way)...I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the cake! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%