Inches And Centimeters

Decorating By Liis Updated 3 Apr 2017 , 9:28am by dangrober

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 10

hi all,

i have a little problem and i cann't figure it out.
cake base width is 1cm then the ribbon has to be 1cm, which is 0.39 inches but in the shop the withs are written in fractions.

so 7/8" is how many cm?
5/8'' is how many centimeters
3/8"?

i am sorry if it is such a stupid qustion , i tried the lenght conversion sites but they all give them in normal numbers. fractions are no no for me icon_redface.gif

9 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 10

1 inch = 2.54 cm

7/8 inch = 2.2 cm
5/8 inch = 1.6 cm
3/8 inch = 1 cm

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 10

That's very helpful, but I'm wondering if there is a conversion chart available somewhere? I've noticed a lot of the cutters coming out of the UK have cm measure and I can't figure out how big they are! icon_cry.gif

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you so so so much!!!! you are a life saver!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 10

Are you saying you can't use the conversions because they only take decimals? If so, it's super easy to convert from fractions to decimals.

Just take a calculator and do 7 divided by 8 = 0.875. This can then be inserted into the conversion tables. See... super easy! thumbs_up.gif You can save this post so whenever in doubt, we've done it all for you. icon_wink.gif

Here's a nice little conversion table:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/length.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Are you saying you can't use the conversions because they only take decimals? If so, it's super easy to convert from fractions to decimals.

Just take a calculator and do 7 divided by 8 = 0.875. This can then be inserted into the conversion tables. See... super easy! thumbs_up.gif You can save this post so whenever in doubt, we've done it all for you. icon_wink.gif

Here's a nice little conversion table:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/length.html

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but let me explain the difficulty I'm having. I have some cutters on wishlists and they are advertised "largest 160 mm, smallest 120 mm" and "largest 5 cm, smallest 1.75 cm." It gets confusing with mm and cm converting to inches -- something I've never known how to do.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 10

I would keep a ruler by your computer that shows cm and inchesso you can visually see what each means relative to the other.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but let me explain the difficulty I'm having. I have some cutters on wishlists and they are advertised "largest 160 mm, smallest 120 mm" and "largest 5 cm, smallest 1.75 cm." It gets confusing with mm and cm converting to inches -- something I've never known how to do.

I was actually referring to the OP. I usually google inches conversion or length conversion, for example. This will pop up a ton of convertors. Just throw in the number and presto! it's done for you. It might be good to do a standard table for things you commonly see for mm or cm to inches just for an easy goto chart.

The link I posted is one of the conversion tables. Hope this helps!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I was actually referring to the OP. I usually google inches conversion or length conversion, for example. This will pop up a ton of convertors. Just throw in the number and presto! it's done for you. It might be good to do a standard table for things you commonly see for mm or cm to inches just for an easy goto chart.

The link I posted is one of the conversion tables. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That does help! I also like the idea of having a ruler near my desk! icon_biggrin.gif

dangrober Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dangrober Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 9:28am
post #10 of 10

There is a nice online tool to help convert inches to cm and vice versa

http://www.inch-to-cm.info . It's also has help to convert inches to other metric system lengths such as meter and mm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%