Liis Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:15pm

hi all,

i have a little problem and i cann't figure it out.
cake base width is 1cm then the ribbon has to be 1cm, which is 0.39 inches but in the shop the withs are written in fractions.

so 7/8" is how many cm?
5/8'' is how many centimeters
3/8"?

i am sorry if it is such a stupid qustion , i tried the lenght conversion sites but they all give them in normal numbers. fractions are no no for me icon_redface.gif

8 replies
sgilmer Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:43pm

1 inch = 2.54 cm

7/8 inch = 2.2 cm
5/8 inch = 1.6 cm
3/8 inch = 1 cm

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm

That's very helpful, but I'm wondering if there is a conversion chart available somewhere? I've noticed a lot of the cutters coming out of the UK have cm measure and I can't figure out how big they are! icon_cry.gif

Liis Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm

Thank you so so so much!!!! you are a life saver!

aswartzw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:47pm

Are you saying you can't use the conversions because they only take decimals? If so, it's super easy to convert from fractions to decimals.

Just take a calculator and do 7 divided by 8 = 0.875. This can then be inserted into the conversion tables. See... super easy! thumbs_up.gif You can save this post so whenever in doubt, we've done it all for you. icon_wink.gif

Here's a nice little conversion table:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/length.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:54pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Are you saying you can't use the conversions because they only take decimals? If so, it's super easy to convert from fractions to decimals.

Just take a calculator and do 7 divided by 8 = 0.875. This can then be inserted into the conversion tables. See... super easy! thumbs_up.gif You can save this post so whenever in doubt, we've done it all for you. icon_wink.gif

Here's a nice little conversion table:

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/length.html

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but let me explain the difficulty I'm having. I have some cutters on wishlists and they are advertised "largest 160 mm, smallest 120 mm" and "largest 5 cm, smallest 1.75 cm." It gets confusing with mm and cm converting to inches -- something I've never known how to do.

jmt1714 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm

I would keep a ruler by your computer that shows cm and inchesso you can visually see what each means relative to the other.

aswartzw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but let me explain the difficulty I'm having. I have some cutters on wishlists and they are advertised "largest 160 mm, smallest 120 mm" and "largest 5 cm, smallest 1.75 cm." It gets confusing with mm and cm converting to inches -- something I've never known how to do.

I was actually referring to the OP. I usually google inches conversion or length conversion, for example. This will pop up a ton of convertors. Just throw in the number and presto! it's done for you. It might be good to do a standard table for things you commonly see for mm or cm to inches just for an easy goto chart.

The link I posted is one of the conversion tables. Hope this helps!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I was actually referring to the OP. I usually google inches conversion or length conversion, for example. This will pop up a ton of convertors. Just throw in the number and presto! it's done for you. It might be good to do a standard table for things you commonly see for mm or cm to inches just for an easy goto chart.

The link I posted is one of the conversion tables. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That does help! I also like the idea of having a ruler near my desk! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%