Contract To Avoid Come Backs!

Business By sweetipi Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm by leily

sweetipi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:10am
post #1 of 5

Just reading some of the stories on CC about brides or MIL's trying to get their money back after the wedding is just scary. We all try to cover every angle and do our best , but who knows what fault they will find . It is usually to get their money back.......because they overspent etc...

My question to all CC's is there a contract that can prevent this and prevent the cake decorator from legal action? Any thoughts would be welcome. Or is this a case of no matter what we do there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves fully.

I wonder if the big names i.e Collette or Isreal etc... have to deal with this type of issue.

4 replies
Erdica Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 5

Honestly, I don't think there is any way to completely protect yourself from people suing you. We live in a time where everyone is sue happy. It gets out of control most the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit because someone looked and someone else funny.

With that being said, the best thing you can do is write a contract that fits your business. There are a lot of posts about contracts on here and some CC's have been nice enough to share their contracts. I've gotten a lot of good ideas and kinda moved things around and made things fit for my business. I'm sure if you do a search, you'll get a bunch of pops.

DH and I have also talked about becoming a corporation. Because he said if register the business under the corporation that if someone sues us, that they could only sue the company and our personal assets would not be liable to sue? Not sure about that. We are still researching that. Maybe someone else can post on that.

GL!

leily Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

The best advice I can give is to be very very detailed with what you will be providing and what you will not be providing. In the description area of the cake list the servings (and what size servings you are counting this on) colors (staple color swatches from bride to order - or in a folder for order) The icing if you offere different ones, how many tiers, what size, decorations etc...

I work as project manager for a construction company and this is very important for me so it shows what we are offering and what we expect others to take care of... business is business so it goes the same for cakes.

There are some contracts that others have posted that are a very good start.

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

The best advice I can give is to be very very detailed with what you will be providing and what you will not be providing. In the description area of the cake list the servings (and what size servings you are counting this on) colors (staple color swatches from bride to order - or in a folder for order) The icing if you offere different ones, how many tiers, what size, decorations etc...

Great idea! In my quote to the bride, I include a drawing of the cake (made in excel....pretty much just some rectangles stacked up like a cake) with the sizes and the servings, plus the grand total of servings.

I'll try to attach an example .... hope it works!

leily Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

I like that idea Debi. I had been doint the last few cakes in AutoCad, but this can take me awhile sometimes.
I will try it this way next time and see what the response is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%