Buttercream On Top Of Royal???????????

Decorating By Granpam Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:08pm by Granpam

Granpam Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:45am
post #1 of 5

I am using styrofoam that I built to make a tree trunk base that I covered in royal icing. I have stacked cakes on top that will be covered in buttercream. Some of the base will also have to be covered in leaves will I have to do those leaves in royal or can I use the buttercream after the royal has hardened? Cake won't be served until Saturday evening. I sure don't want to have the royal melt and everything falling off the base.
Thanks

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:18am
post #2 of 5

Well I haven't done buttercream on top of royal, but I have done royal on top of buttercream (which I think would be worse) and I haven't had any problems. I also use a high fat icing (SMBC) so if you use regular ABC then it REALLY should be ok

Granpam Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:50am
post #3 of 5

Thanks. The royal isn't dry enough to try yet.

hollyma Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 5

I am very new at cake decorating (2nd Wilton class right now). I made my mom a birthday cake this past week. I made Royal Icing Pansies for the top of the cake. I iced it with thin Buttercream, put the pansies on and then added Buttercream leaves. My cake was fine. Nothing melted together and my pansies stayed in place for over 10 hours. Hope this helps.

Granpam Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks hollyma.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%