Getting Nervous

Decorating By ANicole Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm by Tona

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:24am
post #1 of 3

Well, I posted about this in another thread, but I only got one response. I'm one of those people that needs 10000000 opinions before I can do anything (probably based on low self esteem/childhood issues). icon_twisted.gif

Anyway, I'm making my second cousin's wedding cake. Starting it tomorrow. Will be delivered Saturday. I'm getting really nervous. It's 3 stacked square cakes, iced smooth w/ BC and a dot border in black and white. Simple, right? Well, sort've. But I'm still scared. I'm scared my icing won't be smooth and my corners won't align right and I'm scared my black and white will run or bleed. I'm scared the whole cake will tilt!

Okay, I'm calming down. But seriously, the bad part about asking advice is that each person you ask gives you a different answer. So of course, I got some conflicting info on wooden dowels vs. plastic dowels that has me all crazed at the moment!

The big question on my mind right now is - how do I make sure my icing is smooth? I've used the melvira method before. I had trouble with it once I stacked my cakes because my icing kind of bulged and then I couldn't roll it back out. I'm thinking I should've used a hot spatula.

Any input on stacked square wedding cakes and set up in general (my aunt had me do this as of only 4 days ago and I'm going to the hall alone to set it up) would be appreciated. I'll probably look back on this and say "What was the big deal?" But I'm just scared. Like the first day of school scared.

Thanks!

Amber

2 replies
fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:57am
post #2 of 3

Amber,
First, take a deep breath..... Now everything is going to be fine.
The only dowels I use is the plastic ones. I find they are much easier and gives better support for the cakes. Thats just my opinion. I don't like the wooden ones but alot of people do.
When I apply the icing onto the cakes I always use a hot spatula and it seems to work for me. I Ice all the cakes first then I do the stacking after they have had time to crust. If there are any imperfections I go over it again after I stack the tiers. The more you practice the easier it will get. Your cakes are very good and I sure it will turn out just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 3

I also like the plastic dowels they just wok better for me.I know you will do a great job on your cake can't wait to see the pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%