Mil Bought Me The Ws Halloween 3D Cookie Cutters--Any Hints

Baking By cakeatopia Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 3:35am by mundy33

cakeatopia Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 4

on making these?

Should I use the recipe that came with the box? It has cream cheese.
Can I do fondant on a hot cookie and then put them together?
Would NFSC work?
Decorate after they are assembled or before? I was thinking of really keeping things very simple.

I have to make cookies for 36 kiddos--actually 12 that I volunteered for but decided to also send treats home with other son. Figured I'd do the 3D for the ones they will eat in class.

I love the house!!

3 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:46am
post #2 of 4

The only problem with these 3D cookies is getting them to fit together once they are baked. I would use the NFSC or similar recipe. I wouldn't put fondant on them and then try to piece them together...I don't think they will fit. But then, I haven't seen these particular cutters in person. I'm assuming they piece together like other 3D cutter sets I've seen (my set is a promotional item from the 60's). Be prepared for a bit of frustration. I found it worked to use a serrated knife to "file" away a bit of the cookie so the pieces fit together. Icing them is a challenge if you're wanting to do anything elaborate. Simple is best! Good luck. The finished product is a definite crowd pleaser.

cakeatopia Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much. I am thinking of doing the pumkin for the kids--12 of them. *Maybe* I can do dough and add orange coloring and if they "work" I can always add the royal icing after they bake. These are for 3y olds!!!

These cutters are the 2 pieces that interlock. Maybe I will make one to start off with and cut the fitting pieces a little wider.

Maybe some sanding sugars would be good to spiff them up!

Off to bake other stuff I volunteered for!!

mundy33 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #4 of 4

make sure you roll your dough thick enough- too thin and they won't stay together, they'll wobble when assembled. Roll it as evenly as you can. I roll them about 1/4".

Don't ice or decorate them where the pieces will fit together. I usually put them together before I decorate them to get an idea of where the pieces will fit against each other.

Also, if they spread while baking, you can trim the notches with a paring knife until they are the right size. I usually trim a little at a time, until I get it to the right size.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%