Can I Color Whip Cream Frosting?

Decorating By chefdot Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm by sun33082

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 7

I hate making whip cream frosting and have never found a simple but good recipe I really like since I prefer b/c. But my boss wants whip cream for his son's cake I am doing this weekend and Fry's Grocery Store bakery has the best whip cream frosting that you can buy from them. Some come in colors, but mostly just plain white. I am doing a Nemo cake again so will need lots of bright and vibrant colors. Can I use the normal icing dye that I use for b/c frosting? I can just imagine the colors not blending and being screwed or them blending then them end up looking like they are all curdled or something. HELP! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 7

Not having used that icing, I can't say for sure, but it should work. Try a small batch of some bright color and let it set for a while. that should give you a good idea.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 7

I made a stabilized whipped cream for a cake for my aunt. I used regular Americolor to color the icing.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 7

Duh! I never thought about just using a small scoop of it to test it. I'm a dork...lol! Thanks guys!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 7

You can color it with no problem except you will end up with pastel colors instead of vibrant.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 7

I add jello pudding to stabilize my whipped cream. You can use a flavored pudding or jello which will give you a base color usually pastel, then add a little color at a time til you get just enough color without making the icing too runny.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 7

Yes you can color it. Just make sure when you do color or, or just work with it period, that you keep it cold. I like to put the icing in one bowl and then put ice water in a slightly larger bowl and sit the smaller bowl in that. Whipped icing takes on a strange, hard to spread, texture as it warms up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%