Do You Wrap Your Cake Circles?

Decorating By bradleycake Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm by Theresa50

bradleycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleycake Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 37

I am making a sheet cake with a 3D basketball on it. I am going to stick a dowel in the sheet cake to support the basketball. Should I wrap the cardboard circle the basketball is going to be on?

36 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 37

I don't.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 37

Plain cardboard circles can absorb a lot of grease. It probably won't be a problem on the small circle. For a larger cake, you would need to wrap the board to keep it strong.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 37

I wrap mine..... I don't know why, I just always did it that way....

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 37

Does anybody wrap thereâs in aluminum foil? If not what should I wrap them in?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #6 of 37

I usually wrap them. The waxed cardboards are awesome if you can find those. They really don't absorb grease!...Well, at least on the top anyway..

Courtney

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 37

I wrap. I'm afraid of getting cardboard fuzzies in the cake i guess.

bradleycake Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #8 of 37

What do you use to wrap them with? Do you wrap it all the way around the board?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #9 of 37

I used to wrap cardboard. Now, I use foamboard, which I don't wrap, but do use white electrical tape around the raw edge. Sometimes I'll wrap a cardboard in contact paper, but be careful, because it can be slippery.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #10 of 37

I don't wrap mine

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 37

If the cake board will be hidden due to tier placement, I wrap in Cling Wrap. If it's the bottom "plate" that the cake will be presented on, I wrap in fanci foil.

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 37

Is the foam board easy to get a center dowel thru?

mamacc Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I used to wrap cardboard. Now, I use foamboard, which I don't wrap, but do use white electrical tape around the raw edge. Sometimes I'll wrap a cardboard in contact paper, but be careful, because it can be slippery.

Diane, so you find that the foamboard holds up ok and doesn't get soggy like a cardboard? My concern is when doing 3D cakes and the boards are sitting inside the cake for a couple days. But I really would rather not have to wrap cake boards! Thanks for the electrical tape tip....that's a good one.

Courtney

DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 37

Courtney, this is what I love about foamboard. It does not get soggy. The paper will separate from the foam when it comes into contact with grease, hence the tape around the edge. The paper will show grease marks, but it won't disintegrate like cardboard.

bradleycake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 37

Where can you buy foamboard? I guess I'm not sure what that is.

mamacc Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 37

Thanks Diane! I'm definitely going to try this out soon.

Courtney

DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleycake

Where can you buy foamboard? I guess I'm not sure what that is.

You can get it at craft stores and WalMart. It's a piece of white foam coated on both sides with white glossy paper. It comes in 3/16" and 1/2" thicknesses. You'll find it either by the mat boards or the school presentation materials.

I use 3/16" under tiers and the 1/2" for base boards.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 37

bradleycake:
I wrap the cardboard circles with wax paper when I'm making a cake like your doing.
I've started using the 3/16" foam board and still wrap them..... and like someone else said, I'm not sure why either.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 37

I wrap mine with Press and Seal. to keep the moisture from weakening the cardboard.

bradleycake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:18pm
post #20 of 37

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the great tips. This is why I love cake central!!!!!

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #21 of 37

i really hope this doesn't sound dumb.. but can wrapping paper be used to wrap the boards instead of foil or fanci foil? and contact paper can be used? just needing a festive way to decorate the boards.. icon_redface.gif

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #22 of 37

I wrap the bottom board only - and I buy plastic tablecloths in the party section at wal-mart to wrap them in. One tablecloth covers many boards and they come in all colors and sometimes patterns around the holidays, so I can always color coordinate with my cake. They're 99 cents each.

I use foam board for large/heavy cakes and I cover it as well. I get it at wal-mart - it's usually right next to the posterboard on the school supply isle.

DianeLM Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:09pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa50

i really hope this doesn't sound dumb.. but can wrapping paper be used to wrap the boards instead of foil or fanci foil? and contact paper can be used? just needing a festive way to decorate the boards.. icon_redface.gif

Wrapping paper still needs to be covered with clear contact paper because the moisture from the cake will cause the dyes to bleed and the paper to get soggy and fall apart.

BTW, there are no dumb questions. icon_smile.gif

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuff

- and I buy plastic tablecloths in the party section at wal-mart to wrap them in. One tablecloth covers many boards and they come in all colors and sometimes patterns around the holidays, so I can always color coordinate with my cake. They're 99 cents each.

What a GREAT idea!

~~~~

Does wrapping the cake circles make it hard for the dowels to go through them?

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleycake

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the great tips. This is why I love cake central!!!!!

I second that! thumbs_up.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #26 of 37

I have a dumb question, but the board you're talking about- is it the thin cardboard (usually has scalloped edges) or are you talking about the firmer cake circle board that you rest cakes on. I'm doing a stacked cake soon, and I'm not sure which one you are supposed to use icon_redface.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #27 of 37

I don't wrap the cake circles that are between stacked cakes. What I usually do is put the cake on a larger circle than needed, ice and then smooth, and after it has set up, I use very sharp scissors to cut the cardboard to fit the bottom of the cake perfectly.
The only board I cover is the bottom board that will be seen. I've not had a problem with grease soaking through or any construction problems and I have made some pretty tall and heavy cakes check out my photo to see what I'm talking about.

jibbies

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #28 of 37

I wrap only my cake boards I am using as the cake base. I use Parchment paper. It gives the cake a nice clean and professional look. If I am covering with fondant I don't cover the boards just tape them together for strength.

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #29 of 37

I do not cover the boards in between tiers - only the bottom board that is seen.
Also, I poke a hole through the boards that my tiers will be on, in advance. Then I insert a long dowel through center of the bottom tier and slide all my other tiers down the dowel through the pre-drilled hole in the boards. Once my tiers are all stacked, I trim the excess dowel from the top and patched the hole. This prevents having to sharpen dowels, or force them through the tiers and it helps me keep the dowel perfectly strait. (I always had a problem with slanting my dowel as I put it through the etire cake and it casued my cakes to slide a bit) That's not been a problem with my current method of stacking!

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #30 of 37

Great idea Chuff! I am going to try that next time! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%