Keeping Refrigerated Cake Moist

Decorating By lheber4 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm by BakingGirl

lheber4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lheber4 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake that requires refrigeration. Last time I made it it was really good. My mom, however, was quick to point out that it was a little dry and maybe I should try something to keep it moist (anyone have moms like that?? icon_sad.gif anyone have any ideas? Someone said something about simple sugar, but I don't even know what that is or how to go about doing it....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Have a great day!!

6 replies
messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 7

Here in Italy they soak cakes in syrup, lemon for example. It keeps the cake nice and moist. I've done it once with buttercream on the outside and it held up fine. To make the syrup you just boil sugar and water and add whatever flavour you want e.g. lemon rind or flavouring.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 7

a "simple syrup" is a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water, boiled so the sugar dissolves. You can then add flavour to that and brush on the layers, as the above poster suggested. You could add zest, extracts or alcohol....or nothingicon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 7

Just what chocolatedrummer said. icon_smile.gif

Simple Syrup threads:
(Recipes, how-to-make and different application methods.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-55178-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-65643-.html

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 7

Gotta love moms...our biggest fans and harshest critics icon_lol.gif

Chrisy

lheber4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lheber4 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the ideas. So would I brush it with simple sugar and then seal it with a thin layer of icing?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 7

When I brush my layers, which I usually only do if I need an extra flavour burst rather than moisture, I brush each cut side lightly. Then I fill and sandwich the two brushed layers together. I tend not to put any on top of the last layer just in case it would seep through the icing on top of the cake.

I like brushing with a small amount of liqueurs, like Kaluha on a mocha cake for instance. Very delicious but not for the kids. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%