How Far In Advance....

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:16am by beachcakes

daisy114 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 7

could I make my fondant characters for my son's bday cake? I'm having his party on 10/28 and would like to try and do whatever I could now but is it to early to make my fondant and shape it?

TIA!

6 replies
Teekakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 7

You can be making any and all fondant figures now. Just cover them in a container that will keep the dust off but allow some air to get in. The longer fondant/gumpaste items the more stable they usually are. icon_smile.gif

elizw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

i made fondant leaves for a wedding cake 3 weeks ahead. i wanted them to dry and keep shape. i covered them lightly just to keep the dust off. it was nice to be able to get a jump start on a huge project!

daisy114 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the tips! So what would happen if they were kept air tight? They'd stay to soft?

Teekakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

Yes that is correct. They simply would not dry properly and would remain soft. The longer they dry the better they are. icon_smile.gif
The same items can be kept long after the cake is gone and to do this you simply store them in a closed non-airtight container. Most of my flowers are stored in egg cartons. As long as you keep them dust free they can be used again much later down the line.

summernoelle Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 7

When I made my zoo animal cake, I started on them the weekend before. They hold up pretty well!

beachcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

It's not too early!
Be sure to keep them away from sunlight also to avoid fading!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%