That's Nice...your Still Not Getting A Discount...people!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 1:25am by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, so I get two missed calls last night at around 10. I have NO idea who they are. I'm like whatever.

Well, one of the same numbers calls me today at 10ish. She asks if this is is the cake lady. I'm like, YEAH!. Long story short she needs a quinceanera cake for SATURDAY! Yup, the day after tomorrow! Well, I'm really trying to break into quinceanera/wedding cakes, so I don't turn her down. (I figured if we can figure everything out by 5 today, I can back tonight and decorate tomorrow night.)

So, I meet with her at the local grocery store (they have a dining area) and show her my cakes and do a VERY simple sketch of a cake. It would have been a castle cake on top of a fountain with a few satellite cakes. I know I'm cheap compared to may people her, but for my market, I'm am competitive. So I tell her that the cake would be $300 - $250 is the base price, $50 for the late order and I'm not even charging her for the design. Well, like three times that we are talking she's mentions that the lady who recommended her told her to tell me that she was recommended and she would get a discount. I'm thinking yeah, right! Then she's like "Yeah, if we get you then we're going to have quite a bit of other cakes coming up too." I know the only she said that was so she could get a discount.

Anyway, she said she had to discuss it with her husband and would get back with me in an hour and a half. I SERIOUSLY doubt that she will be calling!! But she must be crazy!! I gave her one heck of a deal and with two days notice! At one point she was like "I was thinking of just getting her a cake from Sam's." I'm thinking "okay". I seriously think she thought she was going to get a cake for $100 or something.

So, now I just have to wait for her to call. I kind-of don't want her to call (cause I know I'll be running around crazy), but if she does it'll help boast my portfolio and that'll just be more $$$ in my pocket.

Sorry this is long. But I just HAD to share!!!

7 replies
meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 8

Yeah, I can relate.... I have had those 50/50 customers, where you want the portfolio piece, and then at the same time, you hope they dont call back, because it will be such a pain. Good luck w/ that - did she ever call you? Oh, and I wouldn't have given a discount either!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 8

Crazy! So did you ever hear from her?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 8

I'd be finding out what "friend" is telling these people that they get a discount from you!

"She doesn't set my pricing and is not authorized to offer discounts. I'm sorry there was confusion between you on that issue."

ccr03 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #5 of 8

Well, she never called. I'm actually glad she didn't!

Indydebi, it's funny that you mention that. The 'friend' that recommended her isn't even my friend! I did two cakes for her and she is actually my friend's cousin - and I know that there is NO WAY my friend would ever offer a discount! ON the contrary, she tells me to charge her full price.

Well, thanks for listening. I knew you guys would appreciate this 'interesting' story!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'd be finding out what "friend" is telling these people that they get a discount from you!

"She doesn't set my pricing and is not authorized to offer discounts. I'm sorry there was confusion between you on that issue."

Absolutely.

I have 15% off coupons that I hand out occasionally, even to my friends. That way I know the discount is legit.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 8

Good thing she never called. I hope her Daughter enjoys her $25.00 sheet cake from Sam's at her "coming of age" party! I swear people like that you just have to wonder where they're coming from? I mean to wait until the VERY last minute, then ask for a DISCOUNT??? That cake would've been an all-nighter for you and $300 is nothing for that cake you described.

I like how she promised that there's "more orders to come" but didn't even fulfill THIS order. Just goes to show that there are people out there who want all the glitz and glamour, but think that they can hire someone to provide it for them at 1/10th the cost. I mean, I would give her a discount as a RETURNING customer, but not as a first time, last minute, customer.

A portfolio piece is never worth it if you have to go through this.

ccr03 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

That is so true RobxC8ks!

Here's another little update.

So, I went to Sam's after work today (around 5) and was going to get a bucket of Rich's Bettercreme, well guess who was at the bakey counter ordering a cake!? Yup, that lady!

I didn't have time to deal with her, so I just skipped the bakery. (Plus I don't like anyone know where I buy my materials.)

And really, I am glad that she didn't call. The portfolio piece and money so would not have been worth it! And honestly, that's fine that she didn't get her cake with me - because like my mom said, she'll end up with a cake at the price she wants but it won't even compare with what I would have done.
But I just can't believe they waited until 5pm the DAY BEFORE! That's so irresponsible and dumb! Too bad the girl is probably going to end up with sheet cakes for her coming of age party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%