Bubbly Buttercream?

Decorating By pkec00 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:13am by mamacc

pkec00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkec00 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 8

Everytime I've made this buttercream it tastes great--but isn't smooth. Can someone help me out? I follow the directions to a T! I'm using the paddle attatchement to my KA.

4 Cups Crisco
2 T Flavoring (I make my own blend: 1 part each Almond, Butter and Vanilla Flavors in a big bottle, shake well before use)
1 tsp salt
6 oz water (for medium consistency - use more water for thin, less for stiff)
4 lbs powdered sugar

Add the crisco, salt and flavoring to the mixer bowl, mix on low for 3 mins.
Scrape sides and beater.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the water. When all the water is added, set timer for 3 minutes.
Scrape sides and beater, and scrape bottom of bowl to get anything the beater might have missed.
Add half the powdered sugar to the bowl. Cover the mixer with a towel and mix on low for 3 mins.
Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl as well as you can.
Add rest of powdered sugar to bowl and recover with the towel. Mix on low for 3 minutes.
Scrape sides, and mix on next speed up for one minute.

7 replies
bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

It's the damn new Crisco that is probably causing you trouble. The new 0 transfat formula deteriorates when you beat it. There are a bunch of threads in the forums about this. It seems that the best solution is to swtich to high ratio shortening. It is a little expensive but you use about half the amount you do of Crisco. I also got much better results making a smooth BC using Sugarshack's suggestion of only beating it on medium speed (not high) and make a large enough quantity that it covers the top of your paddle. That way it does not incorporate as much air in the BC. Hope this helps.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 8

when i make buttercream, i use my whisk attachment. i always beat it to get it fluffy and then beat on the lowest speed for a few minutes to get the air bubbles out.

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 8

This recipe looks similar to the one my instructor gave us with one exception. She also ads Marshmallow Cream to it....about 1/4- 1/2 cup or so. Maybe that would help. It also depends if you're using the new Crisco. Others on here also add Tbsp. of flour or corn startch or Dream Whip.

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 8

If you mix your icing for too long you will get air bubbles and it won't be smooth. You need to mix it until it is just mixed and that's it, you don't need to whip the heck out of it for any longer than you need too.

HTH
Katie

pkec00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkec00 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 8

I used a store brand of shortening, I don't think it's 0 transfat.

dooleybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooleybug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 8

This sounds very similar to the recipe I use, except I use 3 cups of shortening, 4 tsp. flavoring, and 1 cup of cold water. One main difference I have in the way I mix mine compared to your recipe is that after I mix the shortening, salt, and flavoring for three minutes or until very smooth, then I add my 2 - 2lb bags of powder sugar and then pour my 1 cup (more or less depending on consistency you're going for) cold water over the powder sugar. I then turn my mixer off and on on low to get the powder sugar down in there where it won't create a sugar cloud. I scrape down the bowl then and give it another go round on low to medium low until it is nice and creamy. I do use my paddle attachment on my KA mixer. I have never had troubles with bubbles doing it this way. I got my recipe from my mother who took cake decorating classes waaaaay back when I was a little girl icon_wink.gif

I think I'm going to try your combination of flavoring....that sounds really good. I usually just use a teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspon of butter, but the addition of almond would also be a great flavor.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

I actually like to mix mine for a while, like 5-10 minutes. It does have a lot of bubbles. I just use a rubber spatula to stir out most of the bubbles. BC always gets bubbles when it sits for a while and then you have to restir it before using.

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%