Suggestions Please - Rolling Fondant For Large Cakes

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm by chebean

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 10

So I gave up on my MMF and purchased Satin Ice for a wedding cake I have in a couple of weeks. This will be my second wedding cake and the first wasnt a total disaster but that's another story in itself. I had a really hard time with the last cake, getting the fondant rolled out (also used Satin Ice). I purchased the pvc pipe, which was more difficutl than my wooden rolling pin. It's so hard to roll without the handles really. Plus it's easier to use more force with the rolling pin. Anyway, it was almost impossible to roll it out and get it big enough for my 12 inch round cake. I dont know how I'll ever be able to cover a 16 inch square. Please help.

Does anyone know any secrets to dealing with a cake this size, or to making the fondant flatten easier?

9 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

I don't use fondant a lot .. in fact, I just got done with my first fondant cake. I found that it was easy to buy some clear vinyl from the fabric section at wal mart or somewhere (or use a clear shower curtain) and roll the fondant on that. When you get ready to put it on the cake, just pick up the whole matt and put it on there that way. You can wrap it around the rolling pin and unroll it slowly as you put it on the cake. I hope this helps you .. sorry if it doesn't. Good luck!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 10

Any other suggestions? I can get the fondant onto the cake, it's just getting it to roll out. Seems like such a chore to just get the ball of fondant to be flat. Someone needs to invent a steam roller, without the steam, that would work on fondant, and still be saintary

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 10

professional bakeries have a sheeter machine. I agree a large sheet of vinyl from a crafty store is the way to go. I also prefer my french rolling pin to the wilton one for large stuff - it is heavier. The heavier the pin, the easier it is to put presuure on the stuff to roll it out.

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

I dont know if the pro's use something else but a pasta machine will roll it out too.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 10

I roll mine out with a marble pin, then use wilton'sfondant rolling pin to smooth it, but I used to use a smoother before I had that, and it worked just fine.......................

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10

The wooden rolling pin thing is a myth-- you have to constantly put powder sugar on it but it can be done i have seen mike (mikes amazing cakes.com) use one. yeah he has more experience in one strain of hair then we ever will but it is possible-- icon_biggrin.gif rolling fondant is a workout anyway--

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 10

Also you could try Toba's fondant, it rolls out beautifully and doesn't tear when lifted. I'm going to get some vinyl though for my next cake...that's a great idea.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 10

I use a wooden French rolling pin to roll mine out, I put PS on it at the beginning but not after that. The nice thing about a french pin is the curve. you don't have to constantly lift the pin to move it. After my fondant (I only use Satin Ice) is large enough I roll it up on my pin and place it over the cake. I also have the cake (no matter how large) on something to lift it so the fondant hangs down by gravity. I trim all the excess off first then I use the smoother and cut the excess as I go.

Jibbies

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 10

so this is my first time to roll on fondant onto my cake and it cracked at the edges! ARGH!!! what now?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%