I Have ?'s About Using My New Ka!!!

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:46am by susies1955

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 31

I used my new KA this morning making a chocolate cake and some raspberry flavored buttercream. It found it very awkward. It took me MUCH longer than just using my hand beater. I'm assuming it is because I'm new to it but will I really grow to like my new KA? I mean it does the same thing as my hand beater. I didn't know what I was doing.
One gal said to put my liquid ingredients into the bowl first, start beating them and then add the cake mix. By doing this I don't have to stop & scrape down the sides of the bowl but I was using butter and had to cream it. The butter didn't seem to want to cream. I used the flat beater.
For my icing I used the whip to cream the butter and that seemed to work better.
I couldn't figure out weather I like the pour shield or not. I keep taking it off to stir the sides in and putting it back on to pour stuff into it and taking it off because it seemed weird to use. It didn't seem to get all incorporated very fast and without my help a few times by scraping the sides and bottom. Yes, it is adjusted right.
Am I normal?????????? LOL!
I'm assuming I'll be like ALL of the rest of you later down the road saying it is the best thing ever.
Thanks. I love this forum. icon_smile.gif
Susie

30 replies
tnuty Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 31

I may take a little longer than with your hand beater because with your hand beater you can move it all around. What you will grow to love is the fact that you can do something else while it is beating and it can handle a larger volume than your hand mixer can the beaters are only so big..It will take a little getting used. I think you will love the size and convience of having one rather than the fact that it is faster or slower. I love the fact that I can turn it on and walk away if I have to. Im sure you will grow to love it.

dueter Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 31

Sorry cann't help you since I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I think it is just going to take us some time and practice. I hope icon_lol.gif

snowqueen93 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 31

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my KA. It is a little different to use at first but you will grow to love it. When I beat anything but egg whites or whipped cream I use the paddle attachment. Just learn what is mix speed and what is the beating speed. (I think I usually use speed four to beat - now I know the it by the sound of the motor). You will grow to love it, i promise. I still have to scrap now and then and sometimes I will use the pour shield and sometimes I won't, it just depends on my mood.

It is a total lifesaver for making MMF though.... I never get my hands messy and the whole process is done in the matter of 5 minutes max!

jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 31

They are a bit awkward to get used to, my preference is an Oster kitchen center. The opening to to bowl was very accessible and it was not as deep but wider, so there was less chance of splatter. I had one for years and my husband rebuilt it about 6 times. You will eventually get used to it.

Jibbies

Luxe42 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 31

I've been practicing with mine too. I found that when making frosting I cream the butter and shortening, add extracts, slowly add powdered sugar a little a time. Half way through the powdered sugar bag, I add half the milk required for the recipe, then slowly do the rest of the bag of PS, then the rest of the milk. Works great! thumbs_up.gif *I make the buttercream dream recipe

I'm also trying to adapt to scraping the sides of the bowl with such little space to work with. My Sunbeam mixer had alot of space and I could scrape as I went. It had a sliding base that would put the beaters in the middle of the bowl or against the side. Good mixer, just not pink icon_wink.gif But my KA doesn't take as long to make frosting, and it can hold more volume. I think we just have to get used to it.

jillycakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 31

When I first got my KA (6.0 pro), I was very disappointed. I was used to being able to get my spatula along the sides of the bowl while the mixer was running (on my lovely model from the 1950's). I have gotten used to stopping and scraping w/ my new mixer and am now very glad that I have it. Give it some time to let it grow on you.

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 31

Girls,
Thanks for letting me know that I'm normal. icon_smile.gif At least that is what I'm sensing.
I was use to using a huge wide glass bowl and could clean up the sides very easily. The KA is like using a wet one on a baby that still has their diaper on. LOL, make sense?
Yes, you are all right. It will just take practice and getting familiar with it.
You gals are always so encouraging. icon_smile.gif

Luxe42: I did my icing the same way as you. Could you tell me how long you let it beat once it is all incorporated?

Thanks, now I can't wait to use it again. Our anniversary is next weekend. icon_smile.gif
Susie

aswartzw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 31

I'm not one of the lucky ones to have a KA but I've used my aunt's before to make cakes. I found that there is really no need to scrape much if at all(a concept foreign to me with all the mixers I've used before). In fact, it works better for me when I creamed the butter to just throw it in and set in on high and leave it alone for a few minutes. I think it's because the paddle is actually beating everything including the sides which a regular mixer doesn't get.

Leaving it alone to do it's thing was another concept that took awhile to grasp but soon loved it! Now, I hate my little hand mixer.

cwcopeland Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 31

As the other posters said, you will have to get used to it. It took me a while, but I don't know what I'd do without it now. I use my hand mixer if I'm doing only a single recipe of cake sometimes. It's wonderful when you're making buttercream or MMF.

You will grow to love it, believe me! thumbs_up.gif

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 31

aswartzw,
OK, leave it alone more and don't worry about the scrapping thing so much. Gotcha! icon_smile.gif Hope you get one of your own soon.
What I want to learn is the flat beater versus the whip. The whipped seemed better for butter. HUM.

Tina,
Thanks for chimming in and saying that I "will" get use to it.
I've been using a hand one for all my life. icon_smile.gif

Thanks gals,
Susie

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 31

Ok, that is weird. HOW did my post in answering the last two posters get put BEFORE their posting?
OH MY! There are goblins in here. LOL.
Susie

tracycakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 31

I've had mine for 17 years and LOVE it! I use the splatter shield when adding the dry ingredients and I don't usually scrape down the sides until near the end after all of the ingredients have mixed in. I take the shield off, scrape down the sides and run it for just a couple more minutes. I use the whip for almost everything. You will love it when making royal icing! Just let it run while you are doing other things.

pianocat Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 31

What type of KA did you buy? I'm looking at them and am curious about the pros and cons of them. So I pay attention when the experienced decorators mention them.

Thanks!

whitesoxlover Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 31

it took me about three years to even use mine but now that i have i wouldn't go back!! in fact i ordered more bowls so i can make more frostings and cakes. i can't wait to try it for the mmf.
jen

cwcopeland Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 31

Another thing I remembered...... I used my splatter shield the first time I used my KA and didn't like messing with it. I've never used it again and in fact, I don't even know where it is anymore. My kitchen's always a mess after I'm done baking so I don't even worry about it anymore.

Narie Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 31

I don't have a clue as to where my pouring shield is. Used it twice and tossed it into the back of the cupboard about 30 years and 4 different homes ago. If you have something that is going to fly all over, start by stirring it in by hand or drape a tea towel over the the bowl or just start really slow turning it on and off until you are confident that the dry stuff will stay in the bowl. Creaming butter- the paddle works fine if your butter is isn't refrigerator hard. Just let it run a bit. The hand mixer beaters are more like the whip so they incorporate more air than the paddle will.

Actually when creaming butter and sugar for a cake, dump them in together and beat 1 min., scrape the bowl down, and beat another 1 min. The speed depends on the recipe. Try one of the recipes in your owners manual to give you a feel for it.

If you dump the dry mix on the wet, you are going to have cake mix flying all over the kitchen. Dry, then wet, mix 1 min, scrape the bowl, mix one min. speed 4. And yes, I do scrape both the bowl and the paddle. Since my mother had a kitchen aid, I've never used anything else. I just time most things. The paddle is used for most mixing- batters, cookie dough, frosting. The whip is used to add air- whipped cream, meringue, etc. The dough hook is for kneading bread.

Again use the recipes in your owner's manual to learn technique. Their cream puff recipe is super easy (and good) and the technique for pie dough is a snap.

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 31

Ok girls I will play with the splatter shield to see if it is something I really need or enjoy using.
I see that some of you use the flat beater more and some use the whip more. I guess I will find my niche. icon_smile.gif

Jen welcome to CC and glad you love your KA after not even trying it for three years. I can't imagine that. icon_wink.gif I can't wait to try MMF either.

Pianocat.......welcome to CC and it is a Kitchen Aid Artisan 5 quart that I bought and all the girls here love it. I will too once I get comfy I bet. icon_smile.gif I actually love the sound of it.

Narie........great idea to use a recipe in the book and go by that. Great explanation of the use of the attachments. icon_smile.gif
Thanks everyone,
Susie

sgilmer Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 31

Narie explained the use of the attachments perfectly. I've never heard of mixing wet ingredients, then dry. I always sift my dry ingredients into my bowl and then dump all of the wet ingredients on top of it. Then just cut it on. Sorry you're not having good first experiences with it .. I loved mine since the day I got it. I'm sure you will like it once you get used to it.

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmer

......... Sorry you're not having good first experiences with it .. I loved mine since the day I got it. I'm sure you will like it once you get used to it.

I think it is because I've been married almost 34 years and in that time have only used a hand mixer. I think I would feel the same if it were a new husband.........it would all feel very weird. LOL.
Thanks a lot for your help and encouragement.
Susie

sportsmom005 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm
post #21 of 31

Not lucky enough to have a Kitchenaid yet, but I have decided to purchase a stand mixer by the end of the year icon_biggrin.gif

I thought you weren't supposed to have to scrape the sides with a KA...I've watched the KA lady on QVC dozens of times and I remember her saying you didn't have to because of the planetary spinning action or somethng like that. Kind of disappointing to find out that's not true icon_sad.gif

Is KA the best stand mixer? I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I posted one asking for opinions on which stand mixer is best and only got a few responses...since so many of you are voicing your opinions does anyone mind me asking if KA is the right choice?

Thanks,
Chrisy

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:16pm
post #22 of 31

Hijack all you want! icon_smile.gif
I'm wondering if people scrape just because they can't stand waiting or that they think they are suppose to. I'm going to try tying my hands behind my back and not touching it as it does it's thing and see if what the QVC lady says is true. I've haven't watched QVC in years.
Susie

MichelleM77 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:34pm
post #23 of 31

I was so excited to get my KA with a pouring shield, used it once, and back in the box it the closet it went! LOL! I don't find it necessary and it's just one more thing to wash.

I cream butter, then add the shortening and cream with the butter, flavorings, powdered sugar and milk to thin, and I usually scrape the sides one time after adding the PS just to make sure it's all incorporated. For cakes, I add all my ingredients in the bowl, dry and liquid, beat, scrape once, beat again and pour in the pan. Nothing to it.

I only use the whisk for making royal icing.

I don't think there is a machine out there that makes it so that you don't have to scrape. I don't mind the scrape, only takes a second. icon_smile.gif

sportsmom005 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #24 of 31

Thanks Susie, let me know how the hands behind the back thing works icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you got your KA...thought you weren't getting it until Christmas.

Chrisy

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #25 of 31

Michelle,
Thanks SO much for taking the time to type out your process for icing and cake making with your KA.
I am feeling so much better about it. I think I will go in the kitchen and pet it. icon_smile.gif
Appreciate your help and I know I'll be referring to all these posts in the next few weeks,
Susie

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

....thought you weren't getting it until Christmas.Chrisy

Chrisy,
I 'was' getting it for Christmas but my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday birthday.gif tomorrow. Um, I had to say the KA! thumbs_up.gif
Susie

vickster Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #27 of 31

I put my butter and shortnin, extract in first. I found that I was using too slow a speed. It was staying in a clump. When I went up to four it creamed much better. Then I add in my sugar. What I do is have my sifted sugar in a bowl and scoop it out using a cheap paper plate as a shovel. That gives me just the right amount that it will handle. I also ditched my shield. I got the 6 qt and what I like is you can do 3 cake mixes as once. Pretty handy for tier cakes.

PricklyPearCakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #28 of 31

We have two KA's and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them! We have the pro 6.0 and I think the other one is one of the first models they made lol ( which I love just as much as the new one, except it is like 10 lbs heavier lol) I also never use the guard, but i do take a wet towel and drape over it when i am making icing ( to help keep some of my icing in the bowl! LOL) I also agree that the guard is just one more dish to wash and you are gonna make a mess anyways!

When i first started using them, it was a little akward at first, but after i realized i could walk off and still mix, I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep using it, the more you do the more you will like it!

sgilmer Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #29 of 31

About scraping the bowls: If I ever mix a cake in my KA, I absolutely have to scrape the bowl at least once or in the end I'll have thick clumps of batter that were stuck to the sides while I'm pouring the batter in the pan. It would probably be ok if I just didn't scrape the bowl clean while I was doing it, but it's just one of those things to get used to. I don't mind.

cwcopeland Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmer

About scraping the bowls: If I ever mix a cake in my KA, I absolutely have to scrape the bowl at least once or in the end I'll have thick clumps of batter that were stuck to the sides while I'm pouring the batter in the pan. It would probably be ok if I just didn't scrape the bowl clean while I was doing it, but it's just one of those things to get used to. I don't mind.

Me too. I'm just one of those people who have to make sure everything is totally mixed together. I always scrape the bowl and paddle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%