Tools In The Wilton Fondant-Gumpaste Kit

Decorating By pamconn Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm by pamconn

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 7

I purchased the wilton fondant gumpaste tools-veiner, dog bone etc. There aren't any directions to show how to use these. In class we just used the ball tool. Sorry to be so dense (I used to think that the dummy cake posts were about cakes that even I could make!)
Any hints on how to use these or a book that would show me what each tool is used for?

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 7

Did your kit come with the book? There should be a description in there. I have the kit, but to be honest, I only ever use the ball tools. I haven't attempted many of the flowers.

pamconn Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 7

no, no book, just the package with the 5 green plastic tools. I know one is called a dog bone-just not sure what to do with it.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7

Nicholas Lodge has a DVD titled Video Catalog. It covers many of the tools used with fondant and gumpaste and gives instructions on how to use the tools. That is one of the best $20 expenditures I have made - definitely worth the price.

pamconn Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:01am
post #5 of 7

Thank you. I'll look for it. I do better seeing how something is done rather than by reading alone.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

I was at Cakes by Sam a few days ago and bought the Ateco set that has nine in it. It has a little description. I'll type it here

Ball tools-give flower petals depth or realistic cup shape. Gently depress along a straight edge to soften or ruffle the edges

Vein tool
add veins to leaves, frill or flute edges, or create holes in figures

ribbon insert tool
creates a slot to insert decorations

umbreslla tools
depress in round sugarpaste to form throat for multipetaled trumpet flowers

grooved cone tools
depress in round sugarpaste to form throat for small multipetaled trumpet flowers

cone tool
hollowout flowers, also enables you to roll petals on finger

knife tool
all purpose cutting tool. cut sugarpaste to form petals for pulled flowers. create creases, especially useful in making figurines

shell tool
imprint shell design on gumpaste borders. make feet and other shell like impressions on figures.

pamconn Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 7

vickster,
Thank you. I'll print this out and keep it with my tools.

I knew I would find good information here. I spend way too much time at this site. Is there a support group? Hi I'm Pam and I'm a CC addict.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%