Anyone Is Polk County, Iowa?

Business By momtobtb Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm by chloe1979

momtobtb Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 4

I'm in the beginning phases of starting just a small home business with decorating cakes, cookie bouquets, etc. I work full-time so this would be just a part-time deal doing cakes here and there. I've been doing all the research and I understand that I don't have to be licensed in the state of Iowa since I will be selling only non-potentially hazardous food and willd definately be making less than $20,000 a year. My question, does anyone in the Polk County/Des Moines area know if the city or county require a license? I've been in contact with both, but no one seems to know. HELP??? Also, can you advertise in Iowa? I'm in the process of setting up a website and would like to buy business cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
bearcreek350 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #2 of 4

Hi Becky, I am in Benton county. I don't have to have any kind of license since I don't do foods that have to be refrigerated. I have business cards and I am also setting up a web site. I advertised, but truth be told, I never got one person who said they saw my ad!! I now take 6" single layer sample cakes to businesses along with my card and my business has really taken off! Also, did you see that there is going to be an Iowa ICES day of sharing in Cedar Falls on Nov. 11. Also a gumpase flower class the next day with Jo Bushnell of MN who studied under Nicholas Lodge! I am going to both. I have more info if you are interested. Good luck with your business!

momtobtb Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for the reply. I've got calls into the Polk County HD and the city to see if they have any special requirements and the rules for advertising. I'm biting at the bit to get this started so we shall see!

I heard about ICES in Cedar Falls, but I'll be on a family vacation to Jamaica that week. It's a hard choice, but I think I'll choose Jamaica that week. icon_lol.gif Good luck at the class!

chloe1979 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 4

Hi--I am almost ninety nine percent sure you would benefit from being licensed--I am in Dubuque, and go through the health dept. It makes you more credible to others, and ensures that you will be able to get insurance, as that is the first question they ask me for liabililty insurance.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%