Next Week Is My Baby's Suregery(Hernia)

Lounge By twinsline7 Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm by twinsline7

twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 40

I wrote a while back that one of the twins has a hernia and will need surgery....well next Wednesday is the day!! I'm so glad its going to be done and over with...but now Im getting nervous!

can anyone tell me how is the recovery for children?? he's 3...Ive tried to kinda brief him for it....he calls it "his eg" but when I tell him the dr is gonna fix it he says " ok mommy just dont cut my egg"!! icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

I havent really worried too much about this but now that its getting closer Im getting a bit of anxiety!

39 replies
JRAE33 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 40

Okay...I've already tried to answer you once, but my darling 21 month old shut down the computer. Geez...if it's not CC upgrades, it's my child giving me trouble icon_lol.gif Anyways, I don't know how helpful I can be, but I'll try...

Our oldest had a hernia as an infant, but it corrected itself and we were lucky to avoid surgery. My dad, however, did have the surgery. I know, he's not a child, but really....grown man, child...is there much difference when it comes to things like illness, surgery, dentist ?! icon_lol.gif He did well with the surgery. Once he came home from the hospital he was getting around fine.

As for surgery in general, our oldest had tubes put in last year as well as his adenoids removed. He was 5 at the time. I know this type of surgery is not along the same lines as having a hernia fixed, but to a kid it's probably all the same. He did much better than I dreamed on the day of the surgery. This is the little boy who cried every day I took him to school last year. He's a mommy's boy! When it came time for him to go to the surgery room, he took the nurses hand and walked away with her. He had a few tears, but was so brave. I was proud. They didn't put in the IV until he was asleep, so all he had to do was be brave enough to go back with the nurse, hop on the table and go to sleep.

As for recovery, he did great. I was again pleasantly surprised! He was kept comfortable with his meds, did what he was told, and was actually not the whiny, crying kid I had expected. Kids are amazingly resilient (sp?) and much tougher than we give them credit for!

I know your son will do fine. You said you've already briefed him. I think that's great. I would not dwell on it, though. If he has questions he'll ask, otherwise just let it be until perhaps the night before. I got that advice from my mom. Don't make it into a big deal and it won't be.

As for you, your the mom. You are supposed to get anxious...we'd worry about you if you didn't!! I was so nervous for my son, even though I knew in my heart he was going to be fine. When he was in surgery, I couldn't stop looking at the clock! And for each minute that went past the time they estimated he'd be done, I was getting myself more and more upset. And for nothing! All was fine!

Keep us posted. I'll be waiting to hear when surgery is over and he's recovering well! Jodie

bharbor Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 40

my son had a hernia operation when he was just a little over one. He also had surgery for a blocked pyloric valve when he was 3 weeks old. It is hard to watch them being put to sleep and operated on when they are that small, but I found that small children are remarkably resilient and recover much faster than adults. After the hernia operation, he was pretty much back to normal by the next day.

twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 40

JRAE...you helped more than you know!!! My biggest worry is how he will do going without me....he is a big ol Mommas boy! he wont even let anyone esle pour his drinks or get his clothes....its momma or he wont take them!! He does not do well around "new" people at all...in fact my husband and its rare is usually the only other person he will go to.....I dont know what I'll do if he flips out!

Fortunately my mil is keeping the other twin that day....but its also unfortunate because what in the world will keep my mind off this til he comes out of surgery!! icon_surprised.gif

bharbor...how or did you have to keep your 1yr old down the next day.....Im concerned with the coming home afterwards and the next day....first keeping him from his norm of defending his world wrestling title from his brother...and just to keep from running around.....

I'm also concerned that he isnt gonna be tooooo happy when he figures out the dr "did cut" him! icon_lol.gificon_confused.gif
He is having two procedures that day ...the other is a little more "private" icon_lol.gif but when he pees for the first time afterwards...omg I dont even want to be in the same town!!

bharbor Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 40

lol, it was a little hard keeping him quiet the next day. I caught him trying to pick up a phone book to carry around, didn't think that was a good idea, but I just pretty much let him do his own thing, luckily he was a pretty calm child to begin with

twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharbor

lol, it was a little hard keeping him quiet the next day. I caught him trying to pick up a phone book to carry around, didn't think that was a good idea, but I just pretty much let him do his own thing, luckily he was a pretty calm child to begin with

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif ...oh no! mine don't even sleep calmly!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jen1977 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 40

My youngest had his tonsils/adnoids removed when he was 3. They have him this little cup of medicine before they took him that basically made him laugh hysterically and see spiders everywhere. He thought it was funny. We had to hold him because he was basically doped up. He could have cared less when they took him, and they didn't give him the IV til he was sleeping. It was hard to see him laughing at the spiders, but dh thought it was hilarious. He did well in surgery but had complications afterward, but it was because he kept throwing up and they were afraid he'd tear his stitches. Yours is a different type of surgery, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about it. Are they keeping him overnight? They kept Connor. Ask for a private room if they do. On the Almost Home floor at our Children's Hospital, they didn't have private rooms, and the dad on the other side of our room had the nastiest gas ALL night long. The nurses actually had them send up peppermint oil from the pharmacy at about 2am so I could smeel something besides him and sleep! Little ones are really resilient, and it will probably be harder on you than him!

twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 40

thanks jenn! ....but I hope hop ehope my son doesnt see spiders! he is terrified of them!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif ....I hope though they do the same for Jack and not do any IV's or anything til he is out....I'll let you guys know how it goes.... ouch.gif

jen1977 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 40

Connor didn't like any bugs at all at the time (THAT has changed now!), and he thought it was hilarious. He was on my lap, and kept laying back, hanging over my legs yelling icon_biggrin.gifo you see all those spiders?!?!?!" REALLY loud, and cracking up! They called it a cocktail, and he could've cared less if it were real spiders. He acted drunk! I'm sure he'll do fine!

twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 40

icon_surprised.gif ...the mother in me wants to cry and say AWWWW.....but omg Im sorry I couldnt help but laugh! this should be interesting if anything....

oh and no they arent keeping him overnight...its outpatient!...SO I HAVE TO TAKE HIM HOME!!!! Im soo nervous! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

JodieF Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 40

Two of my 3 had umbilical hernia surgery, one at 9 months after hers incarcerated and one at 2. The third had a hernia but it closed on it's own. Your little one will be fine. He'll be sleepy the first day, I'm sure. You'll have to try and keep him from jumping around or carrying anything heavy after that, but he'll be okay! I promise! thumbs_up.gif It'll be way harder on your than it is on him!

itsmylife Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 40

My oldest had a circumcision done at about 9 mo old (they weren't able to do it when he was born because of a problem). Definitely not a hernia operation... but it was outpatient, and they did have to put him to sleep.

The WORST thing was watching him be carried away by the nurse. My eyes were glued to the operating room doors waiting for the doctor to come back and tell me he was ok. Once he was in recovery, I was able to hold him and he was pretty screamy. But, as soon as we were released, he slept the whole way home.

I think it'll be hard for you to concentrate on anything while he's in there. I guess I would just be careful with his brother attacking (playing) with him for a little bit until he recovers. I'm sure he'll be bouncing off the walls again in no time!!!

On a side note... my oldest broke his arm last week, and just going through the xrays and getting the cast with him, I wanted to start crying.... he thought it was cool and fun..... JodieF was right.... seems like these things are harder on the parents than the kids!

twinsline7 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:05am
post #13 of 40

thanks ya'll! I will just be glad when the surgery is done and he is better.....this really has mea nervous wreck! I know its seems silly for such a "simple surgery" they call it....but icon_sad.gif

I'll let you know how it goes thumbs_up.gif just one more day!

Melvira Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #14 of 40

Ok twinsy, I have to jump in and say, you are going to be shocked at how quickly that little guy is up jumping around, playing, and acting like he's never even seen the inside of a hospital!! I may not have the corner on the market for surgeries, but as the mother of a child with a cleft lip/palate we have seen more than our fair share of Dr's offices, hospitals, etc.!! (Man, does he have a way with the nurses too!) Anyway, on the second day after surgery he was banging on the tray for food! They were like, "Oh goodness, poor baby, shall we get him some juice?!" and he was like "You will feed me solids now!!" (Well, at that point he didn't talk, but his look said it al!) icon_lol.gif I had to implore them to bring tomato soup and yogurt. They couldn't believe the quick turnaround with him! He also had surgery for a hernia in his testicle and again, he was a trooper! Children are the most amazing creatures. They can roll with the punches like you've never seen before!! You are going to feel worse through this whole thing than he is. You are going to feel guilty, sad, and helpless, but he's going to go "Ow" and then be over it!! Keep the faith, and know that it will all be just fine!! Our thoughts and prayers go with you on Wednesday!!

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #15 of 40

twinsline7... Its never a simple surgery when its your baby, But its harder on you then on him ! He will be up and driving you crazy in a day or so ( if that long ) Saying lots of prayers for both of you !

mkerton Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 40

A friend of ours son had a kidney defect they noticed in ultrasound before he was born....the decided to wait until he was a year old (the docs) to fix it but he was a real trouper! It was a tense 5-6 hours (the surgery was complex because they were trying to save part of his second kidney, if it didnt work they would remove it all....but it did work) and his recovery was AMAZING.....
Good Luck!

beck30 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 40

Hi Im not sure about a 3 year old and surgery but my daughter had surgery when she was 1 month. She has a liver disease. She will need a transplant. Of course she dont remember her first and second surgery, but she does go through alot all the time(hospital stays,tests.blood drawings, etc.) It doesnt seem to faze her a bit. I was always afraid she would be scared from going through so much, but shes a trooper. Doctors tell me kids bounce back quicker than adults. Ill keep your son in my prayers. I think hell do great!!! But we always worry there our babies. Good luck.

whitesoxlover Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:38am
post #18 of 40

my daughter had major open heart surgery at 6 days old and in the words of the surgeon, children are the best for surgeries ,because their cells are regenerating at a way faster rate than ours so the healing is super quick. i thought he was full of crap, but thank god he proved me wrong, within a week she was looking so "normal". i was able to walk down to the or with her, so i would ask if that is an option. and i would just keep stressing this is necessary, so the child can play and have loads of fun in a healthy body.
good luck,
jen
p.s. you would never know what she's been through!!!

JRAE33 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 40

I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and your son today. I'm sure all is going well. Please let us know when he's up and at 'em! Jodie

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #20 of 40

Hey.. thinking about you and Jack today ! Im sure all is fine ! Cant wait to hear from ya later ! Take care !

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 40

Hey.. thinking about you and Jack today ! Im sure all is fine ! Cant wait to hear from ya later ! Take care !

fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #22 of 40

ge978 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 40

Hey Everyone,

Since little Jack's surgery is today, I thought it would be nice if we could leave some nice messages for Tonia when she's able to come back on.
I'm sure it would really help if she knew how many of us were thinking of her and her little one.

So Tonia I'm thinking about you and Jack and sending lots of positive thoughts and a few hugs too! icon_wink.gif

JillK Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:42pm
post #24 of 40

We are thinking of you!!!!!

My little guy (3 next month) had open-heart surgery when he was 5 months old. They said normal time in the hospital was five days to two weeks, more if there were complications. We were blessed ... he was out in five days, doing FANTASTIC. It's amazing how quickly they bounce back.

Me, however ... I can still tear up when I think about it, and I am NOT the overly emotional sort. Don't worry if you find yourself doing the same thing. We're thinking of you!

mkerton Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #25 of 40

thinking of you!

itsmylife Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #26 of 40

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #27 of 40

God Bless you Jack, we are thinking of you and praying for you! Here's to a speedy recovery!!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #28 of 40

Tonia,

Thinking of you and little Jack today. I hope that the surgery went well. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((((((HUGS!!)))))))))))

mpitrelli Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:34pm
post #29 of 40

hope Jack is doing ok we have been thinking about you and him today.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm
post #30 of 40

Has anyone heard how Jack's surgery went?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%