Should I Try To Re-Attach The Head? Rkt Mess!!

Decorating By mommak Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm by mommak

mommak Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:48am
post #1 of 6

Ugh what a nightmare. I did a 3-D elmo, turned out pretty cute. It was a tough one for me, from the beginning to the end.

My son got home from work at 2:30 a.m. and stood at the bedroom door going "mom is elmo suppose to look like that? I said whats wrong. He said it looks like its head blew off! GREAAAAAAAAAAAT. And yes, it sure looked like elmos head blew off. The head, arms, legs all RKT. The head fell ripping along the way chunks of fur and part of the arm. I mean this head was in pieces, globs all over the table. The cake isn't due until tomorrow but wasn't sure if I should attempt to make another head or just say forget and do another cake (this time NO 3-D!). All the lady said was surprise me. She had no clue I was doing a 3-D to begin with. I used the RKT recipe without using butter so it would stay firm. This was my first time working with RKT so is it known to to do this????? What a mess!!!

5 replies
mommak Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

anyone have a clue why this happened or what I should do?

dueter Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 6

Have never tried 3D with RKT.
Did you put a support rod in it?

costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 6

Obviously a problem with the rice krispies...I'd take a dowel and form a head on it with tinfoil balled up to make the head shape, then do the same thing for the arms and ice them like cake! You can wrestle with Rice krispies for a looong time, but if it started off badly it might not work because of whatever consistency problems the RKT are having.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 6

I do the RKT without butter all the time--no problem there.

You really do need to compact them very well as you form your shape. I find that pressing them into a mold of some sort really helps a lot. In the case of a head, I'd start by pressing RKTs into a ball pan, insert a rod into the middle, press on some more RKTs to form the back of the head. I'd carve out the basic facial features and add the nose. For Elmo, with all of that fur, I'd make the RKT head fairly small and basic because the furry icing would be pretty heavy.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
HTH
Rae

mommak Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advice but...I layed elmo to rest at 3:30 Thursday afternoon....

I tried once again, I even put the head in the fridge to harden. Once I started putting the bc on I could tell it wasn't going to work. I left for a bit came home, the head was lying on the table again. ugh...so we now have PLENTY of cake to eat on. I went ahead and made a totally different cake. I just didn't have any time to try and mess with the RKT any longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%