Strawberries - Filling Today, Okay To Eat Saturday?

Decorating By Crissy_Cakes Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:16am by Crissy_Cakes

Crissy_Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:05am
post #1 of 3

Morning Everyone!!!
So I need some help because I have it in my little head that I may end up screwing up the bridal cake I'm doing.

I have an order to do a butter cake with fresh (sliced) strawberries as a filling. If I fill and decorate the cake tonight, will it be okay to eat (not soggy or spoiled) on Saturday?

Do to time constraints and an hour drive, the customer is picking the cake up Friday p.m. on her way home from work. Honestly I'd love to do all the decorating tomorrow but I too work an 8-5 job with an hour commute so I have to start tonight if I want the cake to be done by Friday p.m.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is food poision someone.icon_cry.gif

Happy Thursday. icon_razz.gif

2 replies
grama_j Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:03am
post #2 of 3

I would think if you refrigerate, it should be fine, but I would use a " wash" on the layers before you put the berries on it . You just need to put a thin layer of the simple syrup... it will help seal the cake, and the berries won't seep through so much........ and be sure to use a dam.....

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
(Flavoring optional )
Place the sugar and water in a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool syrup to room temperature. Use immediately or refrigerate indefinitely in a covered container until needed.

Crissy_Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:16am
post #3 of 3

I never thought of doing that, what a great idea.
I'm going to do just that......Thank you very much grama_j.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thank you thank you, I'm now going to go take some motrin for the headache I gave myself! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%