And When You Turn 6, You Get A Wal-Mart Cake!!!

Decorating By Copacabanya Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:53am by Copacabanya

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #1 of 51

So how is it that little boys can act so much like men at the age of 5? My oldest son turned 5 this month and a couple of months ago he decided he needed a "Shark Week" cake for his birthday. (It was a toss up between that and Dirty Jobs....can we say Discovery Channel junkie??) Since his 3rd birthday party he has been verrry very specific in what he wants on his cakes and this year he wanted...and I quote, "3 scuba divers, a red one, a yellow one, and a black one, a hammerhead shark, a mighty tiger shark, and a mighty great white....and all out of fondant momma!" icon_eek.gif Yikes. I've never made fondant figures before, what was I thinking agreeing to this? Anyway in the last week his requests evolved to include a lobster, crab, starfish, bubbles, and a fish. So I work for 3 solid days on this cake, I decide after 2 scuba divers and the 3 sharks that it was plenty and I went to pick him up from school. He comes home and says, "Wow mom you worked hard on that!"....wait for it...wait for it....."HEY, where's the rest of my stuff? My lobster, starfish, crab, and fish?? I thought you said you worked all day on this?"

icon_confused.gif

So I spend the next hour or two making the little finishing touches. He puts his finger on his chin like he's inspecting the thing and says, "Hmmm let me seeeee....is there anything else I wanted on there? No...it looks like a masterpiece! Momma, I love it!!" I said you're darn right you love it, you better love it or next year it's Wal-Mart cake for you!!

I should say, he's normally a very grateful little guy so this was out of character....but I wanted to tell him his "Man" was showing. lol

It's sad really...to know your sweet little boys are inevitably going to grow up to be men. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, if anyone can appreciate this cake it's you guys. To add to my insult it didn't even make the front page today when I uploaded it! icon_lol.gif So doggone it somebody look at my cake!! Uhhh...I mean, that is, if you want to. icon_wink.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1149279.html

And if you read this far, thanks for letting me vent. lol

Anya

50 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #2 of 51

Beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutifuuuuuuuuuuullll

way to go, that cake is AWESOME!!!!

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:28am
post #3 of 51

That cake is so cool! You rock!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:29am
post #4 of 51

Wow! icon_eek.gif That is incredible! All the details, plus sharks and divers swiming around the side--Too cool! Your figures look great--no need to apologize there. I hope to do nearly so well, when I finally get brave enough to even try figures. (No wonder you were disappointed it skipped the front page.) Great job! thumbs_up.gif

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #5 of 51

Oh my goodness, what a lucky kid! The cake is amazing!

msfox1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msfox1 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #6 of 51

Anya

I must say "AWESOME CAKE!!!!" I'm very impressed. I do think you are kidding however, when you say you have never made fondant figures before. Those are just so neat and realistic looking.

Great Job. I do hope your son loved it.

Melissa

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:41am
post #7 of 51

Anya, I saw it today on the "Popular Cake Photos Added today". It was there, I promise.

I added it to my favorites earlier today. I think it is an absolutely wonderful cake. I'd love to try this idea myself. How did you get the sharks to look so realistic? Did you just have a picture to go by?

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:52am
post #8 of 51

I love it!!! I had to laugh at your threat!! And I'm sure that he took you seriously!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #9 of 51

Very nice, should of made the front. I'm still amazed at what does and what doesn't. I wonder if it's the time of day they are added in..................who can tell? Love the scuba guy.

cavegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavegirl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #10 of 51

Oh wow! I can't let my son see it, or he'll want one for next year! I don't think I could pull it off. You are truely talented!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #11 of 51

Your son sounds like my 5 year old daughter. She has been obsessing about her 6th birthday for months now but her birthday is not until February. Her list of requirements is endless, has to be a mermaid cake but with a huge cast of characters. On top of that she declared the other day that I needed to make a Spiderman cake too because boys don't like mermaids. Yeah right I am baking you two cakes, missy!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:08am
post #12 of 51

OMG!! What a little man! ^That is sooo funny....just keep telling him that attitude will get him that Wal-mart cake! Then he wont be that picky! LOL icon_lol.gif That is such a cute story! NICE CAKE!!!!!!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:12am
post #13 of 51

OMG, Anya, your cake is AWESOME. party.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:24am
post #14 of 51

I can totally relate - my niece, who is 5 and lives with me part time wants a halloween cake with and I quote" a witch, a vampire, a cat, a bat, a ghost and let's see what else do I want, oh yeah a mummy and a pumpkin" I told her pick three 'cause you are not getting all that!

Anyway - your cake is gorgeous. I can't believe it is the first time you have made fondant figures! You are a natural at it! Great, great, great!
karon

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #15 of 51

Great Cake!!!! I can hear my 4 year old next year saying close to the same thing!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:31am
post #16 of 51

My 3 yr old son sits down with me every day and has me go through "all the cake pictures" to find Spiderman cakes that we are making for his "big boy birthday at the church".

He just had a birthday in June... icon_rolleyes.gif

My little planner!

Incognito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Incognito Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:05am
post #17 of 51

Your cake is so cool! I had to put it in my favourites!

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavegirl

Oh wow! I can't let my son see it, or he'll want one for next year! I don't think I could pull it off. You are truely talented!

I have to agree because my son will be 6 in December and it took a lot of time looking at the galleries here to get him decided on an idea. Then I realized that he just likes looking at the pictures with me! icon_lol.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #19 of 51

Wow-love your cake and story. And why is it when their men they act like their 5?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm
post #20 of 51

You did the most fantastic job! My son is just as picky when it comes to details. It will be a wonderful trait when he's older, but sometimes it drives me crazy..."where are the 50 tiny details on the NASCAR Mommy? You could draw them with edible ink or make them out of fondant!!" YIKES.

Your cake is SO terrific! I absolutely love it and hope that next year he'll want a Discovery Channel cake (also our favorite channel!!) so I can copy this one!!! thumbs_up.gif

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #21 of 51

Great job on the cake!

My son was very exacting like that also, it's phase they go thru, I think.

I used to call my son "Small Sir" when he was that age. icon_lol.gif He wanted things a certain way. icon_eek.gif

I also used to refer to him as my "man in training'.

He is now 13, and a very sweet kid. He is thrilled to lick the beaters and have cake scraps. And he insists they "taste better every time."

Debbie

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm
post #22 of 51

I have 3 bouys so I totally relate! But your cake is absolutley beautiful!!!!! There is no way I would have ever guessed that was your first time meking fonfant figures!!!! Mine would have looked like my 2 year old made them!!!!! Congratulations on a jeb VERY well done!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #23 of 51

ok...seriously....first time doing figures??? THATS A CROCK! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif .....if thats the first im coming back to see your 50th....they look perfect! thos e are the best scuba divers and sea creatures Ive seen!

Its a child of cake thing....my kids ALL do it! even the twins...I planned on a spongebob for one them on their birthday and he kept insisting.."NO I WANT BUDDY CAKE" icon_lol.gif ....my 7 year old is most detailed about it though.....he stresses...and I mean stresses for months about what his cake will be....then will say "oh you know what, i know you just make all the ideas I want on one cake...cant you...that would be the coolest cake ever!!" icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #24 of 51

What a wonderful cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't it fun when they start having cake requests? icon_biggrin.gif (It's just starting for me, so I can afford to think it's fun. icon_rolleyes.gif ) My soon-to-be 3-year-old doesn't particularly care yet, so we're going with Sesame Street, his party theme.

My soon-to-be 4-year-old niece, however, has been telling EVERYONE for months that she's going to have an "Ariel-the-mermaid" cake. And she does this constantly. She's not really picky beyond that, fortunately, so I have some room to play with it.

My favorite photos are of my son and nieces gazing in wonder at their cakes. Priceless. icon_biggrin.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #25 of 51

What a wonderful cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't it fun when they start having cake requests? icon_biggrin.gif (It's just starting for me, so I can afford to think it's fun. icon_rolleyes.gif ) My soon-to-be 3-year-old doesn't particularly care yet, so we're going with Sesame Street, his party theme.

My soon-to-be 4-year-old niece, however, has been telling EVERYONE for months that she's going to have an "Ariel-the-mermaid" cake. And she does this constantly. She's not really picky beyond that, fortunately, so I have some room to play with it.

My favorite photos are of my son and nieces gazing in wonder at their cakes. Priceless. icon_biggrin.gif

Copacabanya Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamconn

Wow-love your cake and story. And why is it when their men they act like their 5?

Hilarious! You are so right! icon_lol.gif

Thank you guys for all your awesome compliments! I have to be honest and tell you I am relieved to hear that the rest of you have little cake tyrants at home too! icon_razz.gif He started with the penguin cake for his 3rd birthday when he asked for penguins, an igloo, a fish, polar bears, and snowballs. He got everything but the polar bears and the snowballs. He has been out of control ever since. lol But now if I say I don't think I can pull it off he gets out the fondant and makes something himself and says, see mom it's easy! haha Oh well at least he forces me to challenge myself right? icon_wink.gif

twinsline7 - you crack me up...it is not a crock! icon_lol.gif Okay I guess the penguins were my "first" but those little fat things don't count as figures to me. haha And I looked at all of yours and you can put me to shame any day so just hush! icon_lol.gif

Debbie - you give me hope that he'll still grow up to be a sweet kid. lol Thanks, I needed that!

Good luck to all of you with your kiddos cakes, especially you, mgdqueen, I can't wait to see your NASCAR decals! haha These kids of ours are getting out of control! Couldn't possibly be because we've spoiled them or anything! icon_razz.gif

Anya

Copacabanya Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:20am
post #27 of 51

Oh...and lablady_29...if you're reading this thread...I owe you a smack for mentioning the missing yellow scuba diver! icon_lol.gif

I had to do some fancy talking to get him down from 3 to 1 and a half! hahaha

Anya

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #28 of 51

Your cake is fabulous! I added it to my favorites...what a great 5 year old to know about Shark Week and want a cake in that theme!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #29 of 51

That is a PRECIOUS story, make sure you copy it and put it in your son's memory book... and the cake!!! You've never made figures?! It is a masterpiece. You have a very lucky little boy!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #30 of 51

That cake is fabulous, Glad my kids are all grown up or my youngest son would be wanting a cake like that. As it is my 20yr old daughter told me after looking in an old wilton book that I'd better be doing a lot of practicing on string work for when she gets married I can put it on her cake.

Children love the things thier moms can do no matter what age they are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%