Should I Ask???

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #1 of 19

So, I am really in need of a part time job...my husband is the only one that works for the house hold and I am a full time student. But, I need some more money! The cakes are not lining up yet and I need to have some income.

There is a local cake decorator in town that has a really nice shop and she is by appointment. I have spoken with her before about an inquiry for a cake and she seemed really nice and kind of did the same things as I do for cakes but maybe more wedding cakes.

Do you think it would be weird of me to ask if she needs any part time help??? I am really not wanting to go back to my last job, even though I know they would hire me, because of all the young and strange people that work there. I just don't want to get caught up in their mess again and I would feel too desperate.
any advice on whether this would be a good thing or if I should try somewhere else?? This is such a small town that I don't know if I am going to get anywhere except for a stupid retail job! I HATE THOSE!!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Stephanie

18 replies
MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #2 of 19

Of course you should ask. The worst she could say is no, which would be disappointing for you, sure. But there's a 50-50 chance she could say yes. There's a zero chance of getting what you want if you never try. Go for it. Good luck.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaT

Of course you should ask. The worst she could say is no, which would be disappointing for you, sure. But there's a 50-50 chance she could say yes. There's a zero chance of getting what you want if you never try. Go for it. Good luck.

Agree. I think anytime you can work with another cake decorator (younger, older, or the same age) it is a huge benefit. Everyone does things differently and you learn and see something through their eyes. I have worked with multiple decorators over the last 5-6 years and I now know how to make 5 or 6 different roses out of buttercream. I never would have learned if I had not worked with other decorators.

and like miaT said, the worst she can say is no.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:55am
post #4 of 19

Even if you can't learn from her, you can perfect what you know! Go for it! Good luck!

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #5 of 19

Thanks guys! I think I am going to try it out! The hubby says the same thing! icon_biggrin.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaT

Ditto!!!!!!!! Be sure to come back & let us know if you get hired ok. If she says no, then oh well, right................be brave woman LOL *wink*

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:18am
post #7 of 19

took a look at your gallery and you are more than ready for prime time. thumbs_up.gif

Ask her!!

mommachris

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:32am
post #8 of 19

You have not because you ask not.

Ask away!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:52am
post #9 of 19

I wouldn't hesitate. Let her know you like her cakes and would love to work with her.
If that doesn't work out for you, I would consider going to a supermarket bakery. They aren't all as bad as people make them sound, especially in a small town.
Out of the 30 years I have been decorating, about half of that time was in supermarkets. Within 2 or 3 months of being there they were letting me decorate pretty much whatever I wanted to do. And, the decorator gets treated the nicest of any of the employees.

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks for the support everyone! I will have to give you an update later since....I have to call her. She is by appointment only sooo I don't know when she is there. And I wouldn't want to just stop in and bring my portfolio of cakes like I am pushing her to hire me!

Wow! I've never had to ASK for a job before...how weird is this!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 19

Go for it!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Jibbies

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 19

Ok guys! This is the update...

I just looked at her website and it says they do not have any job opportunities available at the MOMENT! icon_cry.gif

BUT!!! It does say to send my resume with my portfolio to their address.

HOW DO YOU SEND A PORTFOLIO??? I have so many pictures how would I send that off??? i have never done anything like that before! I just have a 3 ring binder with all of my photos in it...and they are not that great of photos!
WHAT SHOULD I DO???

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 19

send in pictures... I went to a grocery store and showed them my "book of cakes" and even though they weren't LOOKING for a cake decorator at the time they hired me on the spot! They didn't have anyone doing cakes for about 5 years (they've been ordering them in) so they hired me and they've been spending a lot of money to get me going there... kinda nice! I didn't think I was that good but apparently they did.

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 19

Ok...well, I guess my question is...should I just send in regular photos? or do I send them on nice paper? I don't know how to do this if I am sending them by mail??? Should I ask if I could bring in my portfolio??

This is her website: www.bridal-cakes.com

Apparently, she has been in business for 30 years and is trying to branch out into the specialty cakes like mine! That's promising! and she was voted best cakes by "The Knot" magazine! Wow! i think I am kinda nervous!

The other thing about just going to bakeries in my area is everyone is kinda STUCK here. I think mommabuda you might know what I mean being from WI and all.

edited website...address was wrong

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 19

Here's some stuff I found on art portofios:

http://art-support.com/portfolio.htm

http://mimi.essortment.com/howtocreatepo_rmut.htm

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/resumes/a/portfolio.htm

I think selecting your best cakes would be best. Possibly an attractive power print for easy viewing. Nothing too distracting but you could always do a special presentation.

Hope this helps and good luck!

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Here's some stuff I found on art portofios:

http://art-support.com/portfolio.htm

http://mimi.essortment.com/howtocreatepo_rmut.htm

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/resumes/a/portfolio.htm

I think selecting your best cakes would be best. Possibly an attractive power print for easy viewing. Nothing too distracting but you could always do a special presentation.

Hope this helps and good luck!

THANK YOU!!! THIS MAKES GREAT SENSE!!! I AM GONNA EDIT MY PHOTOS NOW!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:32pm
post #17 of 19

No problem! Glad I could help. icon_biggrin.gif

Would love to know what you finally come up with.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 19

I lost my job afew weeks ago, it was a sales job and the office closed, anyway... I went to a local cake shop's website and emailed her about how much I liked her cakes and I would love to come work in her shop and learn all i can from her. She emailed me back that she wan't looking for anyone at the moment... then a couple of days ago, she called me on the phone and asked if i still wanted to work for her. I went and spoke with her and I start Monday. So you just never know. It is always better to try than not. My mom always said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

step0nmi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

I lost my job afew weeks ago, it was a sales job and the office closed, anyway... I went to a local cake shop's website and emailed her about how much I liked her cakes and I would love to come work in her shop and learn all i can from her. She emailed me back that she wan't looking for anyone at the moment... then a couple of days ago, she called me on the phone and asked if i still wanted to work for her. I went and spoke with her and I start Monday. So you just never know. It is always better to try than not. My mom always said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

I am really glad to hear that something great came from you loosing your job! That is a wonderful story!

Yes, I am going to try. I am going to have my husband edit my photos to look more professional and then send my top 10. I needed to do it anyway because I have a HUGE event coming up where I am supplying a cake for a silent auction...there is going to be a caterer there and I thought that might look good!

Thanks for all the advice! I will give an update as soon as I make a move!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%